SX9372 : No.7 The Hamiltons

taken 6 years ago, near to Shaldon, Devon, Great Britain

No.7 The Hamiltons
No.7 The Hamiltons
This is one of eight chalet-style houses built in the 1930s, a development by Mrs Maria Homeyard. Apart from the ground floor extension, left, this house appears unaltered. Most of the others have had the first floor verandah or balcony glassed in: see SX9372 : The Hamiltons. Doubtless some of the garden has been cut into to provide parking.
Mrs Homeyard's Shaldon legacy
The Homeyard name recurs in Shaldon. Maria Laetitia Kempe Roberts married the entrepreneur William Homeyard in 1907. He made his fortune from a cough remedy 'Liqufruta' which was manufactured in Camberwell for over 30 years. The couple both had West Country roots and from 1921 owned a second home, 'Ness Cottage' at the eastern end of Horse Lane above Shaldon. William died aged 73 in 1927; his gravestone in St Nicholas' churchyard, Ringmore, is inscribed ATURFUQIL.

Now a wealthy widow, the energetic Maria invested some of her fortune in property development in Shaldon. The village at that time was confined to the flat riverside land; Maria built on the steep north-facing hillside above. In less than 10 years she built 54 houses. The first project was up the Torquay Road: four semi-detached bungalows called Cartref around 1929. Just down the Torquay Road came The Hamiltons: eight large chalet-style houses for professional families. For workers she built Homeyard Cottages, terraced houses in blocks of four and six above and behind North View. East of Homeyards along to Horse Lane Maria developed a new road, Broadlands, lined with bungalows (much altered since).

The building works and all the associated transactions and procurement created work for local tradesmen and professionals in the lean 1930s. At the same time she had the Camberwell factory rebuilt; she laid out her public pleasure gardens, the Homeyards Botanical Gardens along the hillside, with the neighbouring allotments. Maria died in 1944 and the Ness Cottage Estate was sold in 1945.

All this and more may be found in the booklet 'Aturfuqil's Shaldon' by Lisa Pash, driving force behind the restoration of the Botanical Gardens.
Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   © Copyright Robin Stott and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
+
+
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
TIP: Click the map for Large scale mapping
Change to interactive Map >
Grid Square
SX9372, 1546 images   (more nearby )
Photographer
  (find more nearby)
Date Taken
Thursday, 23 August, 2012   (more nearby)
Submitted
Wednesday, 29 August, 2012
Geographical Context
Coastal  Village, Rural settlement 
Place (from Tags)
Shaldon 
Road (from Tags)
The Hamiltons  Torquay Road 
Name (from Tags)
Homeyards 
Subject Location
OSGB36: geotagged! SX 9339 7203 [10m precision]
WGS84: 50:32.2976N 3:30.3471W
Camera Location
OSGB36: geotagged! SX 9339 7205
View Direction
SOUTH (about 180 degrees)
Looking for a postcode? Try this pageExternal link
Clickable map
+

Other Tags
Houses  Verandah  Chalet-Style 

Click a tag, to view other nearby images.

Image classification(about): Geograph
This page has been viewed about 77 times.
View this location: KML (Google Earth) · Google MapsExternal link · Bing MapsExternal link · OS Map Checksheet · Geograph Map · geotagged! More Links for this image
NW N NE
W Go E
SW S SE
[Mark
You are not logged in login | register