SJ6475 : Anderton Boat Lift

taken 7 years ago, near to Anderton, Cheshire, Great Britain

This is 1 of 40 images, with title Anderton Boat Lift in this square
Anderton Boat Lift
Anderton Boat Lift
The upper caisson at the Anderton Boat Lift (which has now finished operations for the day).
Anderton Boat Lift
Ranking alongside the Pontcysyllte Aqueduct as one of the great icons of the British canal network, the boat lift at Anderton was an ingenious Victorian solution to the problem of transferring boats the 50 feet between the Trent and Mersey Canal and the River Weaver. It was originally built in 1875 with two caisson, one of which is lowered as the other is raised. In the original design, steam operated hydraulic rams were assisted by pumping some water out of the ascending caisson, thus making it lighter. Unfortunately the equipment proved unreliable mainly due to corrosion caused by using polluted canal water for the hydraulics, and the lift was extensively modified in 1908 using an electric system. The lift had to be closed again in 1983 when corrosion was found in the superstructure and it seemed unlikely that it would ever operate again; contemporary photographs show the lift in a very dilapidated condition. However, towards the end of the 1990s, with a contribution from the Heritage Lottery Fund, money was raised to restore the lift using a version of the original hydraulic system - this time using oil rather than canal water. The fully restored lift was opened in 2002 and is now a major tourist attraction as well as an important component of the canal network.
Trent and Mersey Canal
The Trent and Mersey Canal is 935 miles in length from Derwent Mouth to Preston Brook. The first cut was made by Josiah Wedgwood in July 1766 at Middleport (Stoke-on-Trent). The eastern section between Derwent Mouth and Shugborough (the junction with the Staffordshire and Worcestershire Canal) was already operational by 1770 and the whole canal through to Preston Brook, where it linked with the Bridgewater Canal was open for business by 1777. James Brindley was the engineer until his death in 1772. There are seventy-six locks en route to raise and lower the water level where hills impede the course. There are four tunnels, including the famous Harecastle Tunnel near Stoke-on-Trent.
Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   © Copyright David Dixon and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
+
+
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
TIP: Click the map for Large scale mapping
Change to interactive Map >
Grid Square
SJ6475, 356 images   (more nearby )
Photographer
  (find more nearby)
Date Taken
Wednesday, 5 September, 2012   (more nearby)
Submitted
Friday, 7 September, 2012
Geographical Context
Historic sites and artefacts  Canals 
Canal (from Tags)
Trent and Mersey 
River (from Tags)
Weaver 
Subject Location
OSGB36: geotagged! SJ 6472 7527 [10m precision]
WGS84: 53:16.3940N 2:31.8296W
Camera Location
OSGB36: geotagged! SJ 6471 7529
View Direction
South-southeast (about 157 degrees)
Looking for a postcode? Try this pageExternal link
Clickable map
+

Other Tags
Canal  19th Century  Nineteenth Century  Victorian  Boat Lift  Tourist Attraction  River  Chemical Works  Chemicals Factory 

Click a tag, to view other nearby images.

Image classification(about): Geograph
This page has been viewed about 281 times.
View this location: KML (Google Earth) · Google MapsExternal link · Bing MapsExternal link · Geograph Coverage Map · geotagged! More Links for this image
NW N NE
W Go E
SW S SE
[Mark
You are not logged in login | register