NS5226 : Ballochmyle House

taken 7 years ago, near to Catrine, East Ayrshire, Great Britain

Ballochmyle House
Ballochmyle House
Ballochmyle was part of the barony of Kylesmure which King William the Lion granted in the year 1165 to the Cistercian monks of Melrose Abbey. By the sixteenth century Ballochmyle had become a separate estate. In 1760, a "new House very neatly fitted up and finished" possibly designed by the famous architect William Adam, replaced the old tower house. Further extensions to the main building were made during the succeeding years, including the front portion. The architect of the front portion was H M Wardrop and the building was executed in red "Ballochmyle Stone" from the quarries in Mauchline. Wardrop was also the architect of the Station Hotel in Ayr which is built of the same stone. The extension of the house was finished in 1886. On the death of Sir Claud Alexander, the house was let from 1899 until 1937/38.

In 1938, arrangements were made to sell the house and policies to the Department of Health for use as a hospital. Entry was tacitly permitted that year and the missives were finally completed in October 1939, a month after the outbreak of war. Ballochmyle House and grounds were purchased by the Secretary of State in 1939 as a suitable site for one of the EMS (Emergency Medical Services) hospitals being built at that time in anticipation of war-time requirements. It was built on the pavilion plan following the standard plan of EMS hospitals. Initially there were two blocks of eight wards and a block containing the administrative office, the kitchen, laboratory and pharmacy and this part of the construction was completed by the Autumn of 1940. The mansion house was utilised as residential accommodation for the medical, nursing, administrative and technical staff. (Information from Northkirk Homes Ltd.)

The hospital buildings (mostly located in Grid Square NS5126 ) were recently demolished, and the estate was being re-developed as an area of luxury housing. 94 Houses were planned but only 23 have been completed to date as, in April 2012 the developer went into administration, so building work is currently at a standstill. Ballochmyle House itself has been converted into nineteen apartments, eight of which have been sold.
Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   © Copyright Richard Dorrell and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
+
+
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
TIP: Click the map for Large scale mapping
Change to interactive Map >
Grid Square
NS5226, 47 images   (more nearby )
Photographer
  (find more nearby)
Date Taken
Friday, 28 September, 2012   (more nearby)
Submitted
Sunday, 30 September, 2012
Geographical Context
Housing, Dwellings  Country estates 
Near (from Tags)
Mauchline 
Place (from Tags)
Ballochmyle Estate 
Subject Location
OSGB36: geotagged! NS 5209 2637 [10m precision]
WGS84: 55:30.5180N 4:20.6202W
Camera Location
OSGB36: geotagged! NS 5194 2629
View Direction
East-northeast (about 67 degrees)
Looking for a postcode? Try this pageExternal link
Clickable map
+

Other Tags
Uncompleted Housing Development 

Click a tag, to view other nearby images.

Image classification(about): Supplemental image
This page has been viewed about 472 times.
View this location: KML (Google Earth) · Google MapsExternal link · Bing MapsExternal link · Geograph Coverage Map · geotagged! More Links for this image
NW N NE
W Go E
SW S SE
[Mark
You are not logged in login | register