2012

SO5956 : Grendon Bishop church

taken 12 years ago, near to Grendon Green, County of Herefordshire, England

This is 1 of 6 images, with title Grendon Bishop church in this square
Grendon Bishop church
Grendon Bishop church
Grendon Bishop church reflected in the waters of an artificial pool. The church which is dedicated to St John the Baptist and dates from 1787-1788 and like many churches underwent some Victorian restoration; it is a grade II listed building. The church stands among fields with no road access and is no longer used as a church.

Historic England description
Parish church of 1787-88, with earlier origin, altered and extended 1870 by F.R. Kempson.

MATERIALS: Old Red Sandstone rubble, freestone dressings and buttresses, tile roof and cast-iron rainwater goods.

PLAN: Nave and chancel with lower apse, west tower and spire, south porch.

EXTERIOR: The church is in Gothic-revival style under a steeply pitched roof. The nave has simple pointed windows, 3 in the south wall and 2 on the north. The pointed south doorway has a continuous chamfer, within a pretty timber-framed porch on a dwarf wall. It has open arcaded sides and gable with quatrefoils. The chancel south wall has a 2-light window with central column, and trefoil plate tracery. The apse has single cusped windows under hood moulds, and a sill band. In the 2-stage tower is a 2-light plate-tracery west window. A Norman window has been re-set in the south wall. Bell openings are pointed and on the west side a date tablet is below the sill. The low, splay-foot shingled spire is on sawtooth brick eaves.

INTERIOR: The tower arch, and arch into the sanctuary apse, both have continuous chamfers. There is no break between nave and chancel, which is a unified space with a trussed-rafter roof on moulded cornice. In the apse is a ribbed wooden vault. Walls are plastered and windows have simple chamfered rere arches that die into the imposts. The nave has a flagstone floor with wood floor below the pews. Decorative tiles in the chancel include encaustic tiles.

PRINCIPAL FIXTURES: The round tub font is probably C18. Other fixtures are mainly of 1870, including the pine pews and choirs stalls which have open shaped ends. The C20 pulpit has blind Gothic panels. There are several simple wall monuments. The memorial to Philip South (d 1756) has pilasters, open pediment and urn, by James Yates. Others include two by W. Milton for Captain Joseph Nunn (d 1813) and Philip Morris (d 1816), and two by Philpott of Bromyard to James Parlour (d 1757) and John Jenks (d 1806).

HISTORY: The church is of C12 origin, evidence for which is the re-set south tower window. A tablet inside the church records the rebuilding of the church in 1787-88. The apse was added in 1870, when the interior of the church was also Victorianised, by F.R. Kempson (1837/8-1923). Kempson's architectural practice was based in Hereford and he received many church commissions in Herefordshire.

SOURCES: N. Pevsner, The Buildings of England: Herefordshire, 1963, p 140. Information from Alan Brooks.
Source: LinkExternal link

Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   © Copyright Philip Halling and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
Geographical Context: Religious sites Lakes, Wetland, Bog other tags: Church Pool Click a tag, to view other nearby images.
This photo is linked from: Automatic Clusters: · Grendon Bishop Church [10] · Church which is Dedicated to St John [7] Title Clusters: · Grendon Bishop church [6] ·
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
+
+
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
TIP: Click the map for more Large scale mapping
Grid Square
SO5956, 66 images   (more nearby 🔍)
Photographer
Philip Halling   (more nearby)
Date Taken
Sunday, 18 November, 2012   (more nearby)
Submitted
Sunday, 18 November, 2012
Subject Location
OSGB36: geotagged! SO 5976 5636 [10m precision]
WGS84: 52:12.2393N 2:35.4144W
Camera Location
OSGB36: geotagged! SO 5974 5633
View Direction
Northeast (about 45 degrees)
Clickable map
+
NW N NE
W Go E
SW S SE
Image classification(about): Geograph (Fourth Visitor for SO5956)
This page has been viewed about 104 times
You are not logged in login | register