NZ1465 : River Tyne Tide Stone & Heddon Haugh Farm

taken 8 years ago, near to Ryton, Gateshead, Great Britain

River Tyne Tide Stone & Heddon Haugh Farm
River Tyne Tide Stone & Heddon Haugh Farm
See description here NZ1465 : River Tyne Tide Stone

Heddon Haugh farmhouse is still called Station House as it incorporates the original Station Masters House for Heddon-on-the-Wall Railway Station on the North Wylam to Scotswood loop of the Newcastle to Carlisle Railway. The line opened in 1875-76 and the station added 5 years later in 1881. The platforms were staggered each side of a level crossing, that to the east, on the north side of the double track was used by trains travelling east towards Newcastle.

Heddon-on-the-Wall Railway station was closed in 1958, and finally demolished in 1959. The 'Northern' railway line was closed in 1966 and the tracks were removed in 1972. This part of the route was then turned into a public bridleway and cycle track, named after its original purpose, the Wylam Waggonway.
LinkExternal link
Heddon on the Wall Railway Station (disused)

The railway loop from North Wylam to Scotswood was built by the Scotswood, Newburn & Wylam Railway & Dock Company mainly on the line of the former Wylam Waggonway but it was worked from the outset by the North Eastern Railway. The loop was joined to the Newcastle to Carlisle Railway at Scotswood in the east, and in the west after crossing the River Tyne on the still extant Hagg Bank Bridge. The Station opened in July 1881, five years after the line. Although close to Heddon Colliery, it was not particularly convenient for the village as it was about 1 mile distant down a very steep lane.

The platforms at the station were staggered. The down platform (to North Wylam) on the south side of the line, west of the road crossing, and the up platform (to Newcastle), on the left east of the road crossing.

The up platform had two adjoining wooden buildings, both typical of the style used by the North Eastern Railway. The smaller western building was a waiting shed; the larger one contained the booking office and a further waiting room. There was a third waiting shed on the down platform. A Colliery waggonway, north of the running lines, was slewed north of the up platform.

The Station closed in 1958 and was completely demolished by 1963. The former railway line is now a footpath and cycle-way known as the Wylam Waggonway. The former Station Master's House, south of the waggonway is all that remains of the station buildings.

Disused Stations: LinkExternal link


Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   © Copyright Andrew Curtis and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
+
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
TIP: Click the map for Large scale mapping
Change to interactive Map >
Grid Square
NZ1465, 71 images   (more nearby search)
Photographer
  (find more nearby)
Date Taken
Sunday, 13 January, 2013   (more nearby)
Submitted
Sunday, 13 January, 2013
Geographical Context
Lowlands  Farm, Fishery, Market Gardening  Rivers, Streams, Drainage 
Subject Location
OSGB36: geotagged! NZ 1423 6544 [10m precision]
WGS84: 54:59.0016N 1:46.7507W
Camera Location
OSGB36: geotagged! NZ 1423 6544
View Direction
Northeast (about 45 degrees)
Looking for a postcode? Try this pageExternal link
Clickable map
+


Image classification(about): Geograph
This page has been viewed about 210 times.
View this location: KML (Google Earth) · Google MapsExternal link · Bing MapsExternal link · Geograph Coverage Map · geotagged! More Links for this image
NW N NE
W Go E
SW S SE
thumbs up icon
[Mark
You are not logged in login | register