NZ1465 : Wylam Waggonway, site of Heddon on the Wall Station

taken 6 years ago, near to Ryton, Gateshead, Great Britain

Wylam Waggonway, site of Heddon on the Wall Station
Wylam Waggonway, site of Heddon on the Wall Station
This was the site of Heddon on the Wall Railway Station but there is little to see today. The loop from North Wylam to Scotswood was built by the Scotswood, Newburn & Wylam Railway & Dock Company mainly on the line of the former Wylam Waggonway but it was worked from the outset by the North Eastern Railway. The loop was joined to the Newcastle to Carlisle Railway at Scotswood in the east, and in the west after crossing the River Tyne on the still extant Hagg Bank Bridge. The Station opened in July 1881, five years after the line. Although close to Heddon Colliery, it was not particularly convenient for the village as it was about 1 mile distant down a very steep lane.

The bank on the right (east of the road crossing) was the site of the up platform to Newcastle. Here there were two adjoining wooden buildings, one a waiting room and the other the booking office and second waiting room. The down platform (to North Wylam) was beyond the crossing on the left and had a small single waiting shed. The Station closed in 1958 and was completely demolished.

There is a small section of brick wall on the right that might be part of the original station. A line of trees (the first of which can be seen on the extreme right just beyond the brick wall), between the main line and a colliery line that passed north of the platform (now a track), are perhaps those planted by the Station Master, William Harle, sometime between 1898 1906, one for each of his 13 children NZ1465 : Track east of Heddon Haughs Farm.

The former Station Master's House where he lived, on the left just beyond the crossing, is now in private occupation.
LinkExternal link
Heddon on the Wall Railway Station (disused)
The railway loop from North Wylam to Scotswood was built by the Scotswood, Newburn & Wylam Railway & Dock Company mainly on the line of the former Wylam Waggonway but it was worked from the outset by the North Eastern Railway. The loop was joined to the Newcastle to Carlisle Railway at Scotswood in the east, and in the west after crossing the River Tyne on the still extant Hagg Bank Bridge. The Station opened in July 1881, five years after the line. Although close to Heddon Colliery, it was not particularly convenient for the village as it was about 1 mile distant down a very steep lane.

The platforms at the station were staggered. The down platform (to North Wylam) on the south side of the line, west of the road crossing, and the up platform (to Newcastle), on the left east of the road crossing.

The up platform had two adjoining wooden buildings, both typical of the style used by the North Eastern Railway. The smaller western building was a waiting shed; the larger one contained the booking office and a further waiting room. There was a third waiting shed on the down platform. A Colliery waggonway, north of the running lines, was slewed north of the up platform.

The Station closed in 1958 and was completely demolished by 1963. The former railway line is now a footpath and cycle-way known as the Wylam Waggonway. The former Station Master's House, south of the waggonway is all that remains of the station buildings.

Disused Stations: LinkExternal link


Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   © Copyright Andrew Curtis and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
+
+
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
TIP: Click the map for Large scale mapping
Change to interactive Map >
Grid Square
NZ1465, 65 images   (more nearby )
Photographer
  (find more nearby)
Date Taken
Saturday, 26 January, 2013   (more nearby)
Submitted
Saturday, 26 January, 2013
Geographical Context
Lowlands  Paths  Railways  Derelict, Disused 
Subject Location
OSGB36: geotagged! NZ 1449 6555 [10m precision]
WGS84: 54:59.0604N 1:46.5066W
Camera Location
OSGB36: geotagged! NZ 1453 6554
View Direction
West-northwest (about 292 degrees)
Looking for a postcode? Try this pageExternal link
Clickable map
+


Image classification(about): Geograph
This page has been viewed about 154 times.
View this location: KML (Google Earth) · Google MapsExternal link · Bing MapsExternal link · OS Map Checksheet · Geograph Map · geotagged! More Links for this image
NW N NE
W Go E
SW S SE
[Mark
You are not logged in login | register