NZ1465 : Wylam Waggonway, approaching the site of Heddon on the Wall Station

taken 8 years ago, near to Ryton, Gateshead, Great Britain

Wylam Waggonway, approaching the site of Heddon on the Wall Station
Wylam Waggonway, approaching the site of Heddon on the Wall Station
Looking east along the Wylam Waggonway and former railway line. The platforms at Heddon on the Wall Railway Station were staggered. The down platform (to Wylam) was on the right just before the gate, and the up platform (to Newcastle, in the direction faced) was on the left beyond the road crossing NZ1465 : Wylam Waggonway, site of Heddon on the Wall Station. The former Station Master's House can be seen through the trees on the right. It is now the farmhouse for Heddon Haughs Farm which can be seen on the left.
Heddon on the Wall Railway Station (disused)

The railway loop from North Wylam to Scotswood was built by the Scotswood, Newburn & Wylam Railway & Dock Company mainly on the line of the former Wylam Waggonway but it was worked from the outset by the North Eastern Railway. The loop was joined to the Newcastle to Carlisle Railway at Scotswood in the east, and in the west after crossing the River Tyne on the still extant Hagg Bank Bridge. The Station opened in July 1881, five years after the line. Although close to Heddon Colliery, it was not particularly convenient for the village as it was about 1 mile distant down a very steep lane.

The platforms at the station were staggered. The down platform (to North Wylam) on the south side of the line, west of the road crossing, and the up platform (to Newcastle), on the left east of the road crossing.

The up platform had two adjoining wooden buildings, both typical of the style used by the North Eastern Railway. The smaller western building was a waiting shed; the larger one contained the booking office and a further waiting room. There was a third waiting shed on the down platform. A Colliery waggonway, north of the running lines, was slewed north of the up platform.

The Station closed in 1958 and was completely demolished by 1963. The former railway line is now a footpath and cycle-way known as the Wylam Waggonway. The former Station Master's House, south of the waggonway is all that remains of the station buildings.

Disused Stations: LinkExternal link


Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   © Copyright Andrew Curtis and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
+
+
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
TIP: Click the map for Large scale mapping
Change to interactive Map >
Grid Square
NZ1465, 71 images   (more nearby search)
Photographer
  (find more nearby)
Date Taken
Saturday, 26 January, 2013   (more nearby)
Submitted
Sunday, 27 January, 2013
Geographical Context
Lowlands  Paths  Farm, Fishery, Market Gardening  Housing, Dwellings  Railways  Derelict, Disused 
Subject Location
OSGB36: geotagged! NZ 1443 6556 [10m precision]
WGS84: 54:59.0659N 1:46.5628W
Camera Location
OSGB36: geotagged! NZ 1440 6557
View Direction
East-southeast (about 112 degrees)
Looking for a postcode? Try this pageExternal link
Clickable map
+


Image classification(about): Geograph
This page has been viewed about 112 times.
View this location: KML (Google Earth) · Google MapsExternal link · Bing MapsExternal link · Geograph Coverage Map · geotagged! More Links for this image
NW N NE
W Go E
SW S SE
thumbs up icon
[Mark
You are not logged in login | register