SK8448 : Sedilia, St Peter's church, Claypole

taken 7 years ago, near to Claypole, Lincolnshire, Great Britain

Sedilia, St Peter's church, Claypole
Sedilia, St Peter's church, Claypole
The sedilia bear the shields of Cressey, Simeon and Hebden, the patrons of the church during late 14th to early 15th Centuries.
St Peter's church, Claypole
Grade I listed.

The church dates from circa 1300, and is built from ashlar with the lead roofs. The church is a cruciform plan with a west tower and spire, nave with north and south aisles, south porch, transepts, chancel and north vestry.
The tower is of four stages, the two lower of circa 1300, the two upper of circa 1500. On the east side of the nave the original steeply pitched roofline is visible. The tower has ornate pinnacles and projecting gargoyles, the octagonal spire is 15th century with lucarnes, Crockets and finial.

The nave has clerestory windows of three lights. There are moulded eaves with corbel heads above,and a frieze of shields, battlements and ornate pinnacles.
The north aisle has an early 14th century west window and on the roof is a small bell turret,the north transept has early 14th century window of three lights.

The chancel is 15th century and was restored in the 19th C. It has two large windows on both north and south sides each of three lights. There are hood moulds and grotesque animal label stops.There is a large pointed east window of five lights with perpendicular tracery.
The original roofline of the chancel is visible on the east end of the nave.
The south transept was probably remodelled in the 15th century from a detached lady Chapel built circa 1275. The west side of the transept has 14th century windows with head label stops.
The porch is 14th century and has 15th century ornamentation, it has projecting gargoyles and ornate pinnacles. It contains stone benches and a corbel that once supported a roof, one is dated 1631.
The 14th century west door has foliated capitals with elaborate finials.

The nave has three bays, with piers from circa 1300.
The south wall of the south transept has three 13th century sedilia and two aumbries. The chancel arch is from the 14th century and has caryatid figures. There is a 14th century screen which was restored in the 19th century.
There is a 14th century hexagonal font with ornate Gables and pinnacles.
The church contains various small 18th and 19th-century monuments.

The church has recently undergone much restoration work including work to the spire, tower, bells, roof, windows and a new boiler system.
Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   © Copyright Julian P Guffogg and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
+
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
TIP: Click the map for Large scale mapping
Change to interactive Map >
Grid Square
SK8448, 64 images   (more nearby )
Photographer
  (find more nearby)
Date Taken
Saturday, 26 January, 2013   (more nearby)
Submitted
Tuesday, 29 January, 2013
Geographical Context
Religious sites 
Church (from Tags)
St Peters 
Place (from Tags)
Claypole 
Subject Location
OSGB36: geotagged! SK 8456 4899 [10m precision]
WGS84: 53:1.8912N 0:44.4316W
Camera Location
OSGB36: geotagged! SK 8456 4899
View Direction
South-southwest (about 202 degrees)
Looking for a postcode? Try this pageExternal link
Clickable map
+

Other Tags
Sedilia 

Click a tag, to view other nearby images.

Image classification(about): Supplemental image
This page has been viewed about 45 times.
View this location: KML (Google Earth) · Google MapsExternal link · Bing MapsExternal link · Geograph Coverage Map · geotagged! More Links for this image
NW N NE
W Go E
SW S SE
[Mark
You are not logged in login | register