NZ1665 : The Hedley family gravestones, St. Michael & All Angels, Newburn

taken 7 years ago, near to Newburn, Newcastle Upon Tyne, Great Britain

The Hedley family gravestones, St. Michael & All Angels, Newburn
The Hedley family gravestones, St. Michael & All Angels, Newburn
There is a wider view here NZ1665 : Graveyard, St. Michael & All Angels, Newburn

William Hedley (13 July 1779 9 January 1843) was born in Newburn, near Newcastle upon Tyne. He was one of the leading industrial engineers of the early 19th century, and was instrumental in several major innovations in early railway development. While working as a 'viewer' or manager at Wylam's Colliery near Newcastle upon Tyne, he built the first practical steam locomotive which relied simply on the adhesion of iron wheels on iron rails.

Hedley felt that if the pairs of wheels were connected, as with Richard Trevithick's engines, if one pair began to slip, it would be counteracted by the other. The mine owner, Christopher Blackett had just replaced the wooden waggonway from Wylam to Lemington with iron flanged 'L' section plate rails. Hedley constructed a test carriage operated by manpower in 1811, to test the adhesion under various loads. A small scale model is in the Science Museum.

He then used it as the chassis for a locomotive constructed to Trevithick's pattern with a single cylinder and a simple straight through fire tube to the boiler. Called the 'Grasshopper', the engine was not satisfactory. Its motion was erratic, because of the single cylinder, and it produced insufficient steam.

He built a second engine, with the assistance of Timothy Hackworth, his foreman blacksmith, and his principal engine-wright, Jonathan Forster, using the 1812 twin cylinder plan of John Blenkinsop and Matthew Murray with a return-flue boiler. This was the famous steam locomotive, 'Puffing Billy' which first ran in 1813 and is now preserved at the Science Museum in London. There is a modern replica at Beamish NZ2254 : Puffing Billy emerges

Its success encouraged them to build a second engine 'Wylam Dilly', which is now in the Royal Museum in Edinburgh NT2573 : National Museum of Scotland - Wylam Dilly. In the same year, his system for using a coupling between the wheels was patented. Both locomotives remained in active service until 1862.

William Hedley died in 1843 at Burnhopeside Hall, near Lanchester NZ1946 and was buried at Newburn parish church NZ1665 : Church of St. Michael & All Angels, Newburn. Four sons survived him, and his descendants remained heavily involved in the coal-mining industry until nationalisation in the 1940s. In 1971, a charitable foundation was set up in the Hedley name, with assets based on the compensation from nationalisation. It supports young people, the disabled and the terminally ill LinkExternal link

LinkExternal link
Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   © Copyright Andrew Curtis and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
+
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
TIP: Click the map for Large scale mapping
Change to interactive Map >
Grid Square
NZ1665, 186 images   (more nearby )
Photographer
  (find more nearby)
Date Taken
Friday, 22 February, 2013   (more nearby)
Submitted
Friday, 22 February, 2013
Geographical Context
Lowlands  Village, Rural settlement  Religious sites  Burial ground, Crematorium 
Subject Location
OSGB36: geotagged! NZ 1668 6535 [10m precision]
WGS84: 54:58.9485N 1:44.4540W
Camera Location
OSGB36: geotagged! NZ 1668 6535
View Direction
WEST (about 270 degrees)
Looking for a postcode? Try this pageExternal link
Clickable map
+


Image classification(about): Supplemental image
This page has been viewed about 422 times.
View this location: KML (Google Earth) · Google MapsExternal link · Bing MapsExternal link · Geograph Coverage Map · geotagged! More Links for this image
NW N NE
W Go E
SW S SE
[Mark
You are not logged in login | register