TQ1414 : Stocks Field

taken 9 years ago, near to Wiston, West Sussex, Great Britain

Stocks Field
Stocks Field
The name of the field according to Ashington's 1847 tithe map that has been extended to include TQ1414 : The Allens to the north and TQ1414 : Little Meadow to the north west. The dwellings in the distance are numbers 1-6 Stock's Hill.
Buncton :: TQ1413

The earliest mention of Buncton is in a charter dating back to 791 that seems to delineate what later became the manor of Buncton, though a small farming community had been in existence during the Roman period. By the end of the Saxon period it was in possession of Earl Godwin and the manor had also become a small parish which lay entirely surrounded by that of Wiston. Its boundaries followed what is now Chanctonbury Ring Road and Water Lane in the west, Spithandle Lane in the north, a field boundary in the east that runs parallel to the current bridleway that is still more or less in place, and a line running to the north of Wiston Park in the south.

The settlement is believed to have existed to the north of the church either along Water Lane or possibly the site of old Waterlane Barn. The manor house lay to the south on a moated site next to the current Buncton Manor Farm. During the late middle ages the population shrunk so that by the mid 15th century the parish ceased to exist and was joined to Ashington which it remained a detached part of until the 1890s when it was transfered to the parish of Wiston which had always surrounded it. By that point the old village of Wiston was also on the move having also shrunk throughout the centuries with the last of its population removed by the owners of Wiston House in order to extend its park. As a consequence the new village of Wiston is now centred on the site of the previous village of Buncton along Water Lane and Spithandle Lane.

The current church dates from the 11th century and may have replaced a much older Saxon one. Part of the building materials used included pieces of Roman tiling from a former building that once lay on a small hillock overlooking the current A283 road which itself partially follows the course of the old Roman Greensand Way which linked Barcombe to a junction with Stane Street at Hardham. The church was downgraded to a chapel at ease when Buncton lost its parochial status and remained as such until 2009 when it became Wiston's parish church after the former building at Wiston House was decommissioned.

Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   © Copyright Simon Carey and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
+
+
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
TIP: Click the map for Large scale mapping
Change to interactive Map >
Grid Square
TQ1414, 76 images   (more nearby search)
Photographer
  (find more nearby)
Date Taken
Wednesday, 20 February, 2013   (more nearby)
Submitted
Sunday, 24 February, 2013
Category
Field   (more nearby)
Subject Location
OSGB36: geotagged! TQ 1452 1417 [10m precision]
WGS84: 50:54.9385N 0:22.3368W
Camera Location
OSGB36: geotagged! TQ 1455 1407
View Direction
North-northwest (about 337 degrees)
Looking for a postcode? Try this pageExternal link
Clickable map
+


Image classification(about): Geograph
This page has been viewed about 18 times.
View this location: KML (Google Earth) · Google MapsExternal link · Bing MapsExternal link · Geograph Coverage Map · geotagged! More Links for this image
NW N NE
W Go E
SW S SE
thumbs up icon
[Mark
You are not logged in login | register