SJ8597 : Ardwick Green War Memorial

taken 9 years ago, near to Manchester, Great Britain

Ardwick Green War Memorial
Ardwick Green War Memorial
Ardwick Green

In 1809, Ardwick Green was part of a suburban village. Fields and hedges extended from Piccadilly to a blacksmiths forge a little beyond Ardwick Bridge.

The green was originally a semi-public enclosed recreation ground planted with trees. It was fenced with low wooden posts and an iron rail for the purpose of keeping out cattle.

In 1867, it was purchased by Manchester Corporation and became the city's third public park. In 1948, the park was re-laid and now consists of grassed lawns, flowerbeds, shrubberies and walks. The children's playground was added in 1951. The green is now considered to be a community garden.

Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   © Copyright Gerald England and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
+
+
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
TIP: Click the map for Large scale mapping
Change to interactive Map >
Grid Square
SJ8597, 353 images   (more nearby search)
Photographer
  (find more nearby)
Date Taken
Saturday, 23 February, 2013   (more nearby)
Submitted
Tuesday, 26 February, 2013
Geographical Context
Historic sites and artefacts 
Place (from Tags)
Ardwick 
Subject Location
OSGB36: geotagged! SJ 8507 9726 [10m precision]
WGS84: 53:28.3115N 2:13.5834W
Camera Location
OSGB36: geotagged! SJ 8508 9728
View Direction
South-southwest (about 202 degrees)
Looking for a postcode? Try this pageExternal link
Clickable map
+

Other Tags
War Memorial 

Click a tag, to view other nearby images.

Image classification(about): Geograph
This page has been viewed about 198 times.
View this location: KML (Google Earth) · Google MapsExternal link · Bing MapsExternal link · Geograph Coverage Map · geotagged! More Links for this image
NW N NE
W Go E
SW S SE
thumbs up icon
[Mark
You are not logged in login | register