SJ8597 : Ardwick Green War Memorial E side (France)
taken 13 years ago, near to Manchester, England

See other images of 8th Ardwick Battalion Manchester Regiment War Memorial
In 1809, Ardwick Green was part of a suburban village. Fields and hedges extended from Piccadilly to a blacksmiths forge a little beyond Ardwick Bridge.
The green was originally a semi-public enclosed recreation ground planted with trees. It was fenced with low wooden posts and an iron rail for the purpose of keeping out cattle.
In 1867, it was purchased by Manchester Corporation and became the city's third public park. In 1948, the park was re-laid and now consists of grassed lawns, flowerbeds, shrubberies and walks. The children's playground was added in 1951. The green is now considered to be a community garden.
