NS3980 : Napierston Road

taken 9 years ago, near to Jamestown, West Dunbartonshire, Great Britain

Napierston Road
Napierston Road
The picture was taken from the junction with NS3980 : Auchincarroch Road. The area ahead is called Dalmonach (thought to signify "field of the monks"; compare NS3980 : Linnbrane Hole).

The green area in the foreground, to the left (north) of the road was, until recent years, the site of Napierston Farm: NS3980 : The former site of Napierston Farm. The area called Napierston was also known historically as Bonhill-Napier (there was also a Bonhill-Noble and a Bonhill-Lindsay; see NS3978 : Steps leading up to Nobleston).

The land that came to be known as Bonhill-Napier or Napierston was granted to Duncan Napier by Walter, Earl of Lennox: "Walter bestowed the 'quarter' of Bonhill, lying next to the lands of Balloch, upon Duncan Napier, lord of Kilmahew, for services rendered by John Napier, his father, to Malcolm, Earl of Lennox, who was slain at Halidon Hill" [Joseph Irving in volume 2 of "The Book of Dumbartonshire" (1879)].

The battle of Halidon Hill took place in July 1333, and the grant is recorded as charter 68 in the Lennox Cartulary: "Carta terrarum de Bullul et Miltoun Duncano Naper", "charter of the lands of Bonhill and Miltoun to Duncan Nap(i)er". On the form "Bullul" for Bonhill, see NS3979 : The Braes o' Bonull (stone relief).

A "Napierstoun" is shown, somewhere in this general area, on the Pont/Blaeu map of the Lennox (the map was published in 1654, but was based largely upon surveys carried out in the 1580s-90s). Roy's Military Survey (1740s-50s) likewise shows "Napierstown".

By the time of the first-edition OS map (surveyed in 1860), Napierston Farm is shown here, with Woodside Farm a little further up Auchincarroch Road; that was still the case until less than a decade before this photograph was taken.

When the extensive Strathleven Estate was sold off in lots in 1950, these farms made up Lot 7. In some respects, the prospectus treats them as a single entity: they are listed as "another extremely fine T.T. dairy farm known as Napierston and Woodside". The two farms latterly belonged to the same family, which accounts for the fact that there is now a prominent "Napierston Farm" sign on one of the large farm buildings of Woodside Farm.

In 2007, shortly before the buildings of Napierston Farm were demolished, the area was archaeologically surveyed to determine whether there was evidence for the farm's location being at the centre of the medieval Napierston area (also known as Bonhill-Napier). No such evidence was found, but this was in line with expectations; it had been thought more likely that the core of the medieval settlement lay in what is now Bonhill (and it is probably that settlement, rather than the more recent farm, that was represented by "Napierstoun" on the Pont/Blaeu map).
Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   © Copyright Lairich Rig and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
+
+
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
TIP: Click the map for Large scale mapping
Change to interactive Map >
Grid Square
NS3980, 129 images   (more nearby )
Photographer
  (find more nearby)
Date Taken
Friday, 13 August, 2010   (more nearby)
Submitted
Thursday, 28 February, 2013
Geographical Context
Roads, Road transport 
Subject Location
OSGB36: geotagged! NS 3991 8073 [10m precision]
WGS84: 55:59.5641N 4:34.0927W
Camera Location
OSGB36: geotagged! NS 3992 8080
View Direction
SOUTH (about 180 degrees)
Looking for a postcode? Try this pageExternal link
Clickable map
+

Other Tags
Toponymy 

Click a tag, to view other nearby images.

Image classification(about): Geograph
This page has been viewed about 146 times.
View this location: KML (Google Earth) · Google MapsExternal link · Bing MapsExternal link · Geograph Coverage Map · geotagged! More Links for this image
NW N NE
W Go E
SW S SE
[Mark
You are not logged in login | register