SP1661 : Bridge No 55 near Wootton Wawen, Warwickshire

taken 6 years ago, near to Wootton Wawen, Warwickshire, Great Britain

Bridge No 55 near Wootton Wawen, Warwickshire
Bridge No 55 near Wootton Wawen, Warwickshire
This bridge is typical of the design on this canal. A narrow gap was left the middle of the metal sides, and also in the bridge itself, to allow a rope to be passed through. This would save unhitching the horse at each bridge. On most of the bridges, this one included, the road/track surface has now been laid so the gap is no longer there.

This bridge is an farm accommodation bridge carrying no public right of way.
Accommodation Bridges
When the canals (or railways) were built in the 18th and 19th centuries, they were often routed in such a way that farmers and other landowners had their land bisected, so bridges had to be provided to allow access to fields on both sides of the canal. These bridges are frequently referred to as accommodation bridges, and however solid and well constructed, often don't lead anywhere except from one field to another.
The Stratford-upon-Avon Canal
The Stratford-upon-Avon Canal links the Worcester and Birmingham Canal at King's Norton Junction with the River Avon at Stratford. The canal is 255 miles long, and has 56 locks*, the last onto the river being a broad lock. The canal was built in several stages (including changes of route) from 1793 on, finally opening fully to the River Avon in 1815.

By the 1950s the section north of Lapworth was rarely being used, and the southern section from Lapworth was badly silted with some unusable locks. It is believed that the last boat reached Stratford in the early 1930s, though a pleasure cruiser reached Wilmcote at Easter in 1947.

Threat of total closure of the southern section in the mid 1950s caused protests, leading to an enquiry in 1958, and a big public campaign to save the canal, so the abandonment plans were reversed in 1959.

The National Trust took on the task of restoring the southern section of the canal in 1960, leading to its re-opening by Queen Elizabeth, the Queen Mother on 11 July 1964. Control was passed to the British Waterways Board in 1988, then to the Canal and River Trust in 2012.

*One stop-lock at King's Norton is unused and open, another at Kingswood Junction is duplicated.

(Details reduced from Nicholson's Waterways Guide No 2)
Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   © Copyright Roger Kidd and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
+
+
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
TIP: Click the map for Large scale mapping
Change to interactive Map >
Grid Square
SP1661, 59 images   (more nearby )
Photographer
  (find more nearby)
Date Taken
Sunday, 26 August, 2012   (more nearby)
Submitted
Sunday, 3 March, 2013
Geographical Context
Canals 
Subject Location
OSGB36: geotagged! SP 1602 6189 [10m precision]
WGS84: 52:15.2971N 1:46.0041W
Camera Location
OSGB36: geotagged! SP 1605 6186
View Direction
Northwest (about 315 degrees)
Looking for a postcode? Try this pageExternal link
Clickable map
+

Other Tags
Canal Bridge 

Click a tag, to view other nearby images.

Image classification(about): Geograph
This page has been viewed about 34 times.
View this location: KML (Google Earth) · Google MapsExternal link · Bing MapsExternal link · OS Map Checksheet · Geograph Map · geotagged! More Links for this image
NW N NE
W Go E
SW S SE
[Mark
You are not logged in login | register