NZ1647 : Where the legions once trod

taken 9 years ago, near to Lanchester, County Durham, Great Britain

Where the legions once trod
Where the legions once trod
A memorial stone commemorating the Roman links with Lanchester. Longovicium was an auxiliary fort located on Dere Street, a major Roman road running from York to Hadrian'sWall and beyond. The stone stands beside the Lanchester Valley Railway Path (National Cycle Network, route 14) one of many railway paths in County Durham, which follows the line of an old railway from Consett to Durham. The railway was opened in 1862, closed to passengers in 1939 and finally closed in 1965.
Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   © Copyright Oliver Dixon and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
+
+
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
TIP: Click the map for Large scale mapping
Change to interactive Map >
Grid Square
NZ1647, 98 images   (more nearby search)
Photographer
  (find more nearby)
Date Taken
Friday, 15 March, 2013   (more nearby)
Submitted
Saturday, 16 March, 2013
Geographical Context
Historic sites and artefacts  Paths 
Subject Location
OSGB36: geotagged! NZ 1656 4732 [10m precision]
WGS84: 54:49.2275N 1:44.6283W
Camera Location
OSGB36: geotagged! NZ 16546 47329
View Direction
EAST (about 90 degrees)
Looking for a postcode? Try this pageExternal link
Clickable map
+

Other Tags
Old Railway Line Path  National Cycle Network  Memorial Stone 

Click a tag, to view other nearby images.

Image classification(about): Geograph
This page has been viewed about 434 times.
View this location: KML (Google Earth) · Google MapsExternal link · Bing MapsExternal link · Geograph Coverage Map · geotagged! More Links for this image
NW N NE
W Go E
SW S SE
thumbs up icon
[Mark
You are not logged in login | register