J3373 : BUT & AEC sets - No's 3 & 4 Platforms

taken 49 years ago, near to Shankill, Belfast County Borough, Beal Feirste, Springfield and Ballymacarret, Northern Ireland

BUT & AEC sets - No's 3 & 4 Platforms
BUT & AEC sets - No's 3 & 4 Platforms
AEC No. 116 sits in No. 3 Platform, probably with an all-stations to Lisburn, while BUT 133 waits in No. 4 Platform, probably with a service to Portadown. The AECs were built by the GNR(I) at Dundalk 1950-51 to a Park Royal Vehicles design. Also to a Park Royal Vehicles design, the BUTs followed in 1957-58. 116 was withdrawn in July 1973, sold to CIE for parts and scrapped at Mullingar in 1977. 133 was damaged by a bomb at Great Victoria Street on 27 March 1972 and scrapped. No GNR AEC or BUT railcars survive in preservation.

There was a Platform 5, to the left of BUT 133, but this was filled-in and given over to bus operations by the UTA.
Great Victoria Street railway station – Belfast

The Ulster Railway Company opened its railway line from Belfast (Glengall Place) to Lisburn in 1839. Designed by John Godwin, the imposing Great Victoria Street station opened in 1849 – Glengall Place and Glengall Street having been renamed at some stage in a fit of patriotic fervour. After the Ulster Railway became part of the Great Northern Railway (Ireland) empire in 1876, some alterations were made to the terminal building including construction of an imposing porte-cochère. Many, including Sir John Betjeman, regarded the building as one of the finest examples of Victorian railway station architecture to be found in the British Isles.

At its height in the years before World War 1, trains left Great Victoria Street for Londonderry (Foyle Road), Enniskillen, Cavan, Bundoran, Warrenpoint, Newcastle, Antrim and Dublin. However, by 1965, services operated only to Lisburn, Portadown and Dublin.

A substantial part of the building was demolished in 1968 to make way for the Europa Hotel. What survived, including the platforms and railway related structures, disappeared following closure of the station on 24 April 1976. Subsequently, the Europa bus station and “skyscraper” office blocks were constructed on the site.

Fortunately, the hideous transport policies of the 1960s and 1970s were eventually recognised as utter folly. Despite initial opposition from Government and another transport provider, Northern Ireland Railways persisted with its plans for reinstatement of a railway line to Great Victoria Street. Designed by Robinson & McIlwain, a new Great Victoria Street station opened for business on 30 September 1995.

This Shared Description covers the area from Central Junction to Great Victoria Street station. For views on the Belfast Central lines, see: Link

Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   © Copyright The Carlisle Kid and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
Loading map... (JavaScript required)
Grid Square
J3373, 2751 images   (more nearby search)
Photographer
  (find more nearby)
Date Taken
Friday, 9 July, 1971   (more nearby)
Submitted
Saturday, 30 March, 2013
Geographical Context
Historic sites and artefacts  Business, Retail, Services  City, Town centre  Railways 
Subject Location
Irish: geotagged! J 334 737 [100m precision]
WGS84: 54:35.6628N 5:56.2033W
Camera Location
Irish: geotagged! J 334 737
View Direction
North-northeast (about 22 degrees)
Clickable map
+


Image classification(about): Supplemental image
This page has been viewed about 679 times.
View this location: KML (Google Earth) · Google MapsExternal link · Bing MapsExternal link · Geograph Coverage Map · geotagged! More Links for this image
NW N NE
W Go E
SW S SE
thumbs up icon
[Mark
You are not logged in login | register