J3373 : Station throat from Platform 2 - Great Victoria Street

taken 47 years ago, near to Shankill, Belfast County Borough, Beal Feirste and Springfield, Northern Ireland

Station throat from Platform 2 - Great Victoria Street
Station throat from Platform 2 - Great Victoria Street
Looking west from the end of Platform 2. Items to note include the "brown van" at left, one of many built by the UTA for parcels and mail traffic. Just behind the water column can be glimpsed Harland & Wolff 1937 built 1A-A1 diesel locomotive No. 28. Last used in 1973, this unique unit was scrapped in 1974. Part of the Ulsterbus garage can be seen at right.
Great Victoria Street railway station – Belfast

The Ulster Railway Company opened its railway line from Belfast (Glengall Place) to Lisburn in 1839. Designed by John Godwin, the imposing Great Victoria Street station opened in 1849 – Glengall Place and Glengall Street having been renamed at some stage in a fit of patriotic fervour. After the Ulster Railway became part of the Great Northern Railway (Ireland) empire in 1876, some alterations were made to the terminal building including construction of an imposing porte-cochère. Many, including Sir John Betjeman, regarded the building as one of the finest examples of Victorian railway station architecture to be found in the British Isles.

At its height in the years before World War 1, trains left Great Victoria Street for Londonderry (Foyle Road), Enniskillen, Cavan, Bundoran, Warrenpoint, Newcastle, Antrim and Dublin. However, by 1965, services operated only to Lisburn, Portadown and Dublin.

A substantial part of the building was demolished in 1968 to make way for the Europa Hotel. What survived, including the platforms and railway related structures, disappeared following closure of the station on 24 April 1976. Subsequently, the Europa bus station and “skyscraper” office blocks were constructed on the site.

Fortunately, the hideous transport policies of the 1960s and 1970s were eventually recognised as utter folly. Despite initial opposition from Government and another transport provider, Northern Ireland Railways persisted with its plans for reinstatement of a railway line to Great Victoria Street. Designed by Robinson & McIlwain, a new Great Victoria Street station opened for business on 30 September 1995.

This Shared Description covers the area from Central Junction to Great Victoria Street station. For views on the Belfast Central lines, see: Link

Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   © Copyright The Carlisle Kid and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
Loading map... (JavaScript required)
Grid Square
J3373, 2751 images   (more nearby search)
Photographer
  (find more nearby)
Date Taken
Monday, 17 September, 1973   (more nearby)
Submitted
Tuesday, 2 April, 2013
Geographical Context
Historic sites and artefacts  Business, Retail, Services  City, Town centre  Railways 
Subject Location
Irish: geotagged! J 3310 7359 [10m precision]
WGS84: 54:35.5815N 5:56.4952W
Camera Location
Irish: geotagged! J 3310 7359
View Direction
Southwest (about 225 degrees)
Clickable map
+


Image classification(about): Geograph
This page has been viewed about 410 times.
View this location: KML (Google Earth) · Google MapsExternal link · Bing MapsExternal link · Geograph Coverage Map · geotagged! More Links for this image
NW N NE
W Go E
SW S SE
thumbs up icon
[Mark
You are not logged in login | register