NT7808 : Chew Sike
taken 13 years ago, near to Nether Hindhope, Scottish Borders, Scotland

Close to where Dere Street crosses Chew Sike, on the north bank below the footbridge, and begins to ascend Brownhart Law towards Scotland, are the foundations of a rudely constructed square building. Fragments of C17th earthenware, glass and clay pipes found in a nearby kitchen midden suggest that this may have been the site of the Chew Green Inn. The Inn would have been an interesting place in smuggling days, when both salt and whisky were carried across the border from Scotland into Northumberland, and when Dere Street was heavily used as a drove-road.
The Inn may have been established as a location for the formal settlement of cross border criminal cases as early as 1249 and may have been still operating at the time of Roy's plan of Chew Green dated 1774 Link
Historic England: Link
Chew Green (named from a former farm) was at one time thought to be the 'Ad Fines' of the Romans, being one of the stations beyond Hadrian's Wall, although the true Roman name is unknown.
The encampment was adjacent to Dere Street, situated on a narrow plateau 1450ft above sea level, now close to the border with Scotland. A five-phase complex of Roman military camps has been recognised, consisting of two temporary marching camps, a semi-permanent Roman fort, and two permanently-occupied fortlets. Dating of occupation phases is little understood despite partial excavation in 1936 by Richmond and Keeney.
Pastscape: LinkArchive Link
Dere Street was built cAD79 on the orders of Agricola (shown wrongly as Watling Street on old maps) and ran between Eboracum (York) and Perthshire. It continued in use in medieval times and the Roman site at Chew Green is overlaid by a deserted village often shown as 'Kemylpethe' or 'Kemylpethe Walls', a name also associated with a section of the road, 'Gamelspath'. The village had an Inn for travellers on the road, and also a chapel, possibly established by monks from Kelso Abbey after 1227. The Makendon Cross was found nearby in 1889.
Historic England: LinkArchive Link
