SD5907 : Leeds and Liverpool Canal Bridge #60, Haigh Park Bridge

taken 6 years ago, near to Marylebone, Wigan, Great Britain

Leeds and Liverpool Canal Bridge #60, Haigh Park Bridge
Leeds and Liverpool Canal Bridge #60, Haigh Park Bridge
Bridge #60 carries the main drive to Haigh Hall.
Leeds and Liverpool Canal :: SD8842
The Leeds and Liverpool Canal is the longest canal in Northern England at 127 miles long. The first of the trans-Pennine canals it took 46 years to build at a cost of five times the original budget, mainly because of the length and complexity of the route. It passes through 91 locks with a summit level of 487 feet at Foulridge near Nelson and Colne. It was originally conceived in the 18th century to carry woollen goods from Leeds and Bradford and limestone from Skipton but in its 19th century heyday it carried stone, coal and many other goods. The impact of the railways was not as great as with other canals and commercial traffic continued along the main canal until 1964. Regular work stopped in 1972 when the movement of coal to Wigan Power Station ceased. In the latter part of the 20th century the leisure potential of the canal was developed and it is now a popular destination for cruising, fishing, walking and cycling. See LinkExternal link for detailed information.
Haigh Hall and Country Park :: SD5908
The present Haigh Hall, a Grade II* Listed building (Historic England List Entry Number: 1228292 LinkExternal link ), was built between 1827 and 1840 by James Lindsay, 7th Earl of Balcarres, on the site of the ancient manor house which had been home to the Bradshaigh family from 1298 until 1780 when Elizabeth Dalrymple, the great-niece of Sir Roger Bradhaigh, inherited the estate. In 1787, she married Alexander Lindsay, 6th Earl of Balcarres and Haigh Hall became the seat of the Earls of Balcarres. The Bradshaigh and Lindsay fortunes were made from seams of cannel coal under the estate which were mined from before 1536.

The extensive Plantations consist primarily of Beech trees with a proportion of Oak, Horse Chestnut, Sycamore, Ash and Lime and Scots Pine. These plantations were laid out in the 1860s to hide the condition of the landscape after being damaged by the mining activity.

The 250 acres of park and woodland surrounding Haigh Hall now forms the Haigh Country Park and the Haigh Hall Golf Club. The estate is bounded to the west by the River Douglas and to the east, the boundary is New Road; it was transferred to Wigan Corporation in 1947. Haigh Hall Park is included in the English Heritage Register of Parks and Gardens at grade II.


Haigh is pronounced locally as “Hay”.
Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   © Copyright David Dixon and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
+
+
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
TIP: Click the map for Large scale mapping
Change to interactive Map >
Grid Square
SD5907, 57 images   (more nearby )
Photographer
  (find more nearby)
Date Taken
Thursday, 2 May, 2013   (more nearby)
Submitted
Saturday, 4 May, 2013
Geographical Context
Park and Public Gardens  Country estates  Woodland, Forest  Canals 
Canal (from Tags)
Leeds and Liverpool 
Subject Location
OSGB36: geotagged! SD 5951 0793 [10m precision]
WGS84: 53:33.9845N 2:36.7693W
Camera Location
OSGB36: geotagged! SD 5953 0790
View Direction
North-northwest (about 337 degrees)
Looking for a postcode? Try this pageExternal link
Clickable map
+

Other Tags
Canal  Towing Path  Canal Towpath  Tow Path  Trees  Country Park  Woodland  Bridge 

Click a tag, to view other nearby images.

Image classification(about): Geograph
This page has been viewed about 121 times.
View this location: KML (Google Earth) · Google MapsExternal link · Bing MapsExternal link · Geograph Coverage Map · geotagged! More Links for this image
NW N NE
W Go E
SW S SE
[Mark
You are not logged in login | register