NS4863 : St Matthew's Church of The Nazarene

taken 7 years ago, near to Paisley, Renfrewshire, Great Britain

St Matthew's Church of The Nazarene
St Matthew's Church of The Nazarene
The south side of the church building.
St Matthew's Church of the Nazarene
The church is located on what has become a traffic island between busy roads at the fork of Gordon Street and Lonend.

Built in 1907 as St George's Free Church, it is easy to understand why the building is often mistaken as the work of Charles Rennie Mackintosh, the Art Nouveau styling and red sandstone construction bear some resemblance to Mackintosh's Queen's Cross Church in Glasgow NS5767 : Queens Cross Church. But Queen's Cross was Mackintosh's only church in Scotland - this building was in fact designed by Paisley's own William David McLennan LinkExternal link who was a contemporary of Mackintosh and who designed many buildings in the town and the surrounding area.

The building is category A Listed LinkExternal link . The listing text is reproduced below...

W D McLennan, architect, 1907. Art nouveau interpretation of perpendicular Gothic. Nave and aisles with halls and offices attached at rear (west). Snecked and stugged ashlar with polished dressings. 7-light traceried window to east front above low mullioned windows, flanked by the bold buttresses rising to clasp gables. Curved porch on south with door facing south and quadrant to north in re-entrant angle between nave and gables main porch with tiny angle turret. Segmentally arched doors. North elevation variously gabled with bold transept projecting similarly detailed to east window. Additional window to west similarly detailed set in very low gable with flattened segmentally arched bay between with recessed door and windows. 6-bay north elevation with end bays of aisle curved that to east with door and that to west angle turret. Between are 3-light mullioned windows. 4 light painted arch clerestory windows except to blind east bay. Buttressses rise through eaves to form pinnacles. South chancel wall blind above single-storey vestry which has door with segmentally-arched hood breaking through eaves. Slate roofs to church and half interior has 4-centred arches to aisles with clerestory to south. Galleried aisleless bay to east. Chancel arch flanked by 2 pointed arches that to left blind. Organ housed in side arch of chancel. Gallery to north transept. Complex queen post and collar beam roof. Outstanding furnishings mostly designed by McLennan, including organ case, font and pulpit. Very fine stalls. Windows have small patterns of coloured glass except for stained west window. Vestry has fine tiled fireplace and built in cupboards.

Boundary railings and notice board also by McLennan.

Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   © Copyright Thomas Nugent and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
+
+
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
TIP: Click the map for Large scale mapping
Change to interactive Map >
Grid Square
NS4863, 924 images   (more nearby )
Photographer
  (find more nearby)
Date Taken
Saturday, 18 May, 2013   (more nearby)
Submitted
Wednesday, 22 May, 2013
Geographical Context
Historic sites and artefacts  Religious sites  City, Town centre 
Subject Location
OSGB36: geotagged! NS 4847 6368 [10m precision]
WGS84: 55:50.5478N 4:25.2930W
Camera Location
OSGB36: geotagged! NS 4848 6366
View Direction
North-northwest (about 337 degrees)
Looking for a postcode? Try this pageExternal link
Clickable map
+


Image classification(about): Supplemental image
This page has been viewed about 22 times.
View this location: KML (Google Earth) · Google MapsExternal link · Bing MapsExternal link · Geograph Coverage Map · geotagged! More Links for this image
NW N NE
W Go E
SW S SE
[Mark
You are not logged in login | register