NS2776 : Burial place of Gabriel Wood

taken 6 years ago, near to Greenock, Inverclyde, Great Britain

Burial place of Gabriel Wood
Burial place of Gabriel Wood
The upright stone, left of centre, bears the following inscription:

"Beneath this monumental stone lie interred the remains of Gabriel Wood, a highly respected merchant of Greenock, who departed this life on the 23rd October 1823, aged 84 years. Also of James Wood and Mary Margaret Wood, children of the above Gabriel Wood and Ann Stewart his wife. Likewise here are deposited the remains of their last surviving child Frances Ann Wood, who died in this town on the 21st May 1856, aged 83 years. Universally esteemed and deeply lamented, endeared to her friends by her many virtues, and to the community at large, by unnumbered unostentatious acts of public and private charity."

(To cite just one example, the clock of NS2776 : Westburn Church Greenock was donated by Frances Ann Wood.)

The Gabriel Wood commemorated here was the father of the Commissary-General, Sir Gabriel Wood, after whom NS2677 : Sir Gabriel Wood's Mariners' Home is named; see Link / Link / Link / Link for other views of it.

"The Asylum was founded by Commissary-General Sir Gabriel Wood, son of Mr. Gabriel Wood, merchant, Greenock, by Ann Stuart, who was connected with the Stuart family, Baronets of Castlemilk" [Robert Murray Smith, "The History of Greenock" (1921)].

As is clear from the picture, the memorial is located beside the Inverkip Street entrance to the burial ground. The finely-carved stone to its right, beside the opening of the gate, is for the merchant Robert Bannatyne and for Mary Denniston his wife.
Inverkip Street Burial Ground
This burial ground opened in 1787; the existing one at the Old West Kirk had, by then, proved too small for Greenock's growing population. See a Geograph article Link for a more detailed history. For all of the inscriptions, see "Renfrewshire MI pre-1855" (vol 1). The adjacent Duncan Street Burial Ground Link was created in 1816. These grounds were closed up in 1859, having been superseded by Greenock Cemetery: Link
The Inverkip Street Burial Ground is discussed in the last few pages of LinkExternal link (PDF).
Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   © Copyright Lairich Rig and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
+
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
TIP: Click the map for Large scale mapping
Change to interactive Map >
Grid Square
NS2776, 857 images   (more nearby )
Photographer
  (find more nearby)
Date Taken
Monday, 8 July, 2013   (more nearby)
Submitted
Monday, 29 July, 2013
Geographical Context
Burial ground, Crematorium 
Subject Location
OSGB36: geotagged! NS 2736 7616 [10m precision]
WGS84: 55:56.8422N 4:45.9740W
Camera Location
OSGB36: geotagged! NS 2736 7616
View Direction
NORTH (about 0 degrees)
Looking for a postcode? Try this pageExternal link
Clickable map
+

Other Tags
Memorial 

Click a tag, to view other nearby images.

Image classification(about): Geograph
This page has been viewed about 317 times.
View this location: KML (Google Earth) · Google MapsExternal link · Bing MapsExternal link · Geograph Coverage Map · geotagged! More Links for this image
NW N NE
W Go E
SW S SE
[Mark
You are not logged in login | register