NS2776 : Memorial to William Wilson

taken 6 years ago, near to Greenock, Inverclyde, Great Britain

Memorial to William Wilson
Memorial to William Wilson
The memorial is set against the northern wall of the burial ground. See NS2776 : Inverkip Street Burial Ground for a view in context.

"Here lie the remains of William Wilson, minister of the United Secession Church, Nicholson Street, Greenock. Born at Dunfermline 2nd October 1776, ordained at Greenock 16th November 1802, died at Glasgow 10th March 1831. This tablet is erected to his memory by a few surviving friends as a token of respect for his public and private worth. Jan'y 1855."

George Williamson, in the volumes of his "Old Greenock", gives much the same information, except that he gives the date of death as the 9th of March. He adds that William Wilson was a native of Paisley, that he was the second minister of the Nicolson Street Church (built in 1791, and "composed of members and adherents connected with Cartsdyke Church, which was overcrowded"), and that he died in the 55th year of his age, and the 29th of his ministry. The memorial is of Peterhead granite.

Mr Wilson's wife was Margaret Law, widow of the merchant John Buchanan; they are commemorated by the stone immediately to the left (part of which can be seen in this picture).

It is not worth showing that stone separately, since much of its inscription has now flaked off, but it names John Buchanan and Margaret Law Buchanan Wilson (the inscription gives her the surnames from both of her marriages), and the younger of her two daughters, Margaret Anne Buchanan Spreull Moon, who was married first to John Spreull, City Chamberlain of Glasgow, and then to the Liverpool merchant John Moon.
Inverkip Street Burial Ground
This burial ground opened in 1787; the existing one at the Old West Kirk had, by then, proved too small for Greenock's growing population. See a Geograph article Link for a more detailed history. For all of the inscriptions, see "Renfrewshire MI pre-1855" (vol 1). The adjacent Duncan Street Burial Ground Link was created in 1816. These grounds were closed up in 1859, having been superseded by Greenock Cemetery: Link
The Inverkip Street Burial Ground is discussed in the last few pages of LinkExternal link (PDF).
Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   © Copyright Lairich Rig and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
+
+
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
TIP: Click the map for Large scale mapping
Change to interactive Map >
Grid Square
NS2776, 857 images   (more nearby )
Photographer
  (find more nearby)
Date Taken
Monday, 8 July, 2013   (more nearby)
Submitted
Tuesday, 30 July, 2013
Geographical Context
Burial ground, Crematorium 
Subject Location
OSGB36: geotagged! NS 2735 7616 [10m precision]
WGS84: 55:56.8420N 4:45.9836W
Camera Location
OSGB36: geotagged! NS 2735 7615
View Direction
North-northwest (about 337 degrees)
Looking for a postcode? Try this pageExternal link
Clickable map
+

Other Tags
Memorial 

Click a tag, to view other nearby images.

Image classification(about): Supplemental image
This page has been viewed about 247 times.
View this location: KML (Google Earth) · Google MapsExternal link · Bing MapsExternal link · Geograph Coverage Map · geotagged! More Links for this image
NW N NE
W Go E
SW S SE
[Mark
You are not logged in login | register