NS2776 : Memorial to George Moscrip

taken 6 years ago, near to Greenock, Inverclyde, Great Britain

Memorial to George Moscrip
Memorial to George Moscrip
For context, see NS2776 : Inverkip Street Burial Ground. The inscription is as follows, but I should mention in advance that the year of death given there is incorrect (see below):

'To the memory of the Rev George Moscrip, thirty-six years Minister of the Gospel of Crawfurds-dyke Greenock, gentle in disposition, grave in deportment, "a lover of good men, sober, just, holy, temperate", holding the faithful word as he had been taught, and of which he was an earnest, diligent and devoted minister: he died on the 22nd of September 1839, loved, lamented, and held in affectionate remembrance."

Unless otherwise stated, quotations below are from George Williamson's "Old Greenock" (Second Series, 1888).

George Moscrip was the minister of the Associate (Burgher) congregation in Crawfurdsdyke (i.e., Cartsdyke):

"The Burgher congregation, whose place of worship was in Cartsdyke, was originally part of the syndicate of congregations, known as the Correspondence of Kilmacolm, united with the congregation of Burntshields, in the Parish of Kilbarchan, the name being derived from the farm on which the church was built."

[On Burntshields, compare the inscription given at NS4763 : Castlehead churchyard: northern side.]

Williamson goes on to relate an account of how the ministers of the parishes of Greenock, Port Glasgow, and Inverkip offended some of their listeners by persisting in reading the Porteous Act from the pulpit before worship on Sunday; those aggrieved by this left to join the Correspondence of Kilmacolm.

[What caused the grievance was the reading of the "Murderers of Captain Porteous Act 1736", as it is known in full. It would be too much of a digression to discuss here the circumstances that led up to it, but they are described by Sir Walter Scott in his "Heart of Midlothian"; its enforced reading in Scottish churches was seen by many as a heavy-handed imposition by a London government that was concerned that its control over Scotland was under threat.]

Those who left "had sermon only on alternate Sabbaths with the other portion of the Correspondence, the whole continuing one congregation with two places of meeting, and under the superintendence of one Session. They worshipped in the open air from 1737 till 1745, when they built their place of worship at Cartsdyke."

Williamson gives the dates correctly: George Moscrip was ordained on the 24th of November 1802, and died on the 21st of September 1838.

From volume 2 of Robert Small's 1904 work "History of the Congregations of the United Presbyterian Church, from 1733 to 1900":

"Cartsdyke congregation after Mr Willis left obtained Mr George Moscrip for their minister, whose call was signed by 201 members and 94 adherents, and the stipend was to be 92. His colleague and successor, ordained in January 1834, was the Rev. James Stark, who succeeded to the whole charge at Mr Moscrip's death on 21st September 1838. The congregation and its minister went with the majority of the Original Burgher Synod into the Established Church in 1839, and left at the Disruption to form Wellpark Free Church, Greenock."
Inverkip Street Burial Ground
This burial ground opened in 1787; the existing one at the Old West Kirk had, by then, proved too small for Greenock's growing population. See a Geograph article Link for a more detailed history. For all of the inscriptions, see "Renfrewshire MI pre-1855" (vol 1). The adjacent Duncan Street Burial Ground Link was created in 1816. These grounds were closed up in 1859, having been superseded by Greenock Cemetery: Link
The Inverkip Street Burial Ground is discussed in the last few pages of LinkExternal link (PDF).
Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   © Copyright Lairich Rig and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
+
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
TIP: Click the map for Large scale mapping
Change to interactive Map >
Grid Square
NS2776, 857 images   (more nearby )
Photographer
  (find more nearby)
Date Taken
Monday, 8 July, 2013   (more nearby)
Submitted
Thursday, 1 August, 2013
Geographical Context
Burial ground, Crematorium 
Subject Location
OSGB36: geotagged! NS 2742 7612 [10m precision]
WGS84: 55:56.8220N 4:45.9149W
Camera Location
OSGB36: geotagged! NS 2742 7612
View Direction
WEST (about 270 degrees)
Looking for a postcode? Try this pageExternal link
Clickable map
+

Other Tags
Memorial 

Click a tag, to view other nearby images.

Image classification(about): Geograph
This page has been viewed about 137 times.
View this location: KML (Google Earth) · Google MapsExternal link · Bing MapsExternal link · Geograph Coverage Map · geotagged! More Links for this image
NW N NE
W Go E
SW S SE
[Mark
You are not logged in login | register