NS2776 : Memorial to Angus McBean

taken 6 years ago, near to Greenock, Inverclyde, Great Britain

Memorial to Angus McBean
Memorial to Angus McBean
The monument is located in the western half of the Duncan Street burial ground.

"A sorrowing flock by whom he was revered and beloved erect this monument to the memory of the Reverend Angus MacBean, Minister of the Gaelic Church and Free Church Gaelic Congregation, Greenock. Born at Croft of Tomatin, Moy, Inverness-shire, 16th November 1785, he departed this life in Greenock, 24th December 1845, after a ministry of twenty-four years. 'An eloquent man and mighty in the scriptures'."

(That last phrase quotes the King James Version's rendering of Ac 18:24, which is a description of the preacher Apollos. Tomatin, in the Parish of Moy, is at NH8028.)

George Williamson, in his "Old Greenock" (Second Series, 1888), explains that the Gaelic Chapel was built in 1791, opened in 1792, and was constituted a Parish Church quoad sacra by an Act of General Assembly in 1834.

Its first minister was Kenneth Bayne, born in Dingwall in 1767, who had previously ministered at the Gaelic Chapel of Ease at Aberdeen. He was admitted to the charge of the Gaelic Chapel at Greenock on the 4th of September 1792. He died on the 13th of April 1821. Williamson, writing in 1888, observes that "then, as now, the sermons were conducted partly in Gaelic, partly in English".

Bayne's successor was Angus McBean (his surname is usually so spelled, though not in the inscription), elected to that charge on the 10th of July 1821, and ordained on the 8th of November. He had been educated at King's College, Aberdeen, and had been a schoolmaster at Dores. He was licensed by the Presbytery of Inverness on the 1st of June 1813, became assistant to Hugh Calder at Croy, and from there was elected to Greenock.

Williamson, author of "Old Greenock", had at one time had the custody of the manuscript collection of McBean's sermons. A certain Dr McCulloch(*), on examining them, thought them worthy of being preserved in the Library of the Free Church College. However, Angus McBean himself had apparently expressed the wish that, on his death, these manuscripts be committed to the flames, and it seems that his brother, acting as executor, did honour that request.

[(*) Dr James Melville McCulloch, minister of the West Parish of Greenock.]
Duncan Street Burial Ground
This burial ground, created on land feued in 1816, is adjacent to the earlier Inverkip Street Burial Ground Link but it was, at first, separate from it (see Link for a more detailed history). An original entrance from Duncan St was closed after that street was levelled; an opening to the adjacent Inverkip Street Burial Ground was then created instead. "Renfrewshire MI pre-1855" (vol 1) has all of the inscriptions. The Duncan Street Burial Ground is discussed in the last few pages of LinkExternal link (PDF).
Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   © Copyright Lairich Rig and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
+
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
TIP: Click the map for Large scale mapping
Change to interactive Map >
Grid Square
NS2776, 857 images   (more nearby )
Photographer
  (find more nearby)
Date Taken
Monday, 8 July, 2013   (more nearby)
Submitted
Thursday, 1 August, 2013
Geographical Context
Burial ground, Crematorium 
Subject Location
OSGB36: geotagged! NS 2739 7609 [10m precision]
WGS84: 55:56.8052N 4:45.9426W
Camera Location
OSGB36: geotagged! NS 2739 7609
View Direction
NORTH (about 0 degrees)
Looking for a postcode? Try this pageExternal link
Clickable map
+

Other Tags
Memorial 

Click a tag, to view other nearby images.

Image classification(about): Supplemental image
This page has been viewed about 220 times.
View this location: KML (Google Earth) · Google MapsExternal link · Bing MapsExternal link · Geograph Coverage Map · geotagged! More Links for this image
NW N NE
W Go E
SW S SE
[Mark
You are not logged in login | register