TQ0710 : Sainfoin Field/Nineteen Acres

taken 8 years ago, 3 km from Burpham, West Sussex, Great Britain

Sainfoin Field/Nineteen Acres
Sainfoin Field/Nineteen Acres
The name of the field according to Clapham's 1843 and the tithing of Ham and Bargeham in Angmering's 1847 tithe maps which in effect was the same field but given two different names as the old parish boundary once ran through the field. Sainfoin Field lay in the detached portion of Clapham centred on Lee Farm and was to the left, whilst Nineteen Acres was in Angmering's parish that had been inherited from the old medieval parish of Barpham in the 16th century and lay to the right and also included part of the field beyond which has since been separated from its original field.

This small valley was once home to a medieval leper colony at the northern end and another settlement, Barpham, at the southern end. The latter disappeared in the century or so after the Black Death leaving just two isolated farmsteads, Lee Farm and Lower Barpham, as remnants.
Clapham, West Sussex :: TQ0906

Clapham is a small parish to the north west of Worthing and is bounded by Patching to the West, Sullington to the north, Findon to the north east, Durrington to the east and Goring to the south. The latter two are now part of the borough of Worthing. The parish also consisted of two detached portions based around Lee Farm and Michelgrove House these were transferred to Angmering and Patching respectively in 1933. The whole parish is situated on chalk downland though parts have a later covering of clay and may account for the large amount of woodland that still exists today.

The main settlement of Clapham lies in the south west corner and follows a single dead end street though there are suggestions that the original village may have been located closer to the church which lies on the edge of Clapham Wood. A hamlet existed at Holt during the medieval period but is now little more than a farm and a couple of cottages. Further north was Michelgrove which later became a large house and park until it was knocked down in the 19th century by new owner, the Duke of Norfolk. Lastly, within the vicinity of the remote Lee Farm was a medieval leper colony which has long disappeared though a leper's window can still be seen at the church, and the path leading from the church to the former colony is sometimes known locally as the leper's path.

The major road through the parish is the modern A27 which follows the course of an ancient route which dates back to Roman times. The eastern part was made a dual carriageway in the 1960s though the western end remained single carriage until the 1990s when the current junction with the A280 was constructed. Another east-west road ran further north from Findon over Patching Hill then continued to the south of Angmering Park on its way to Arundel. This road was downgraded to bridleway when the new turnpike was opened in 1823. That road is currently the A280 which is known as Longfurlong through its entire length. At the junction with Longfurlong Lane it turns south and heads towards the A27 forming the parish boundary with Patching. Longfurlong Lane is also an old route that runs northwards to Storrington over Blackpatch Hill.

Other than agriculture the only industry to appear in the parish was the old brickworks on the common. The earliest records date from the first third of the 18th century and clay was extracted over the centuries to make bricks and tiles. The works closed in 1974 and are now a timber yard and a highways depot.

Much of the southern part of the parish is taken up by Clapham Woods which cover an extensive area north of the village. Judging by old field names some of the woods were once heathland which were either planted or left to waste. The woods suffered greatly in the storms of 1987 and 1990 and parts are now open again. They also suffer from a reputation for strangeness which originated from a series of mysterious deaths and canine disappearances during the 1970s resulting on various ufologists and witch hunters searching the woods for evidence of the unexplained.

Barpham, West Sussex :: TQ0608

Not to be confused with neighbouring Burpham, Barpham, sometimes known as Bargeham and pronounced as Barffham, is a former medieval downland parish that existed from about the 11th century until it was dissolved and added to the parish of Angmering in the early 16th. The original parish was bounded by Burpham to the west, Rackham to the north west, Storrington to the north east, a detached portion of Clapham containing Lee Farm and another surrounding Michelgrove to the east, and Angmering to the south.

The original village seems to have been split into two parts, the church and manor were located on Barpham Hill whilst the rest of the village was in the valley below. Excavations on the church have revealed that it dates from the Saxon period and had been extended in four different phases up to the 14th century. By that time the village had fallen in decline, taxation documents of 1296 and 1327 reveal a drop in the number of those paying taxes suggesting depopulation was already taking place most likely due to the agricultural shift away from arable to the less labour intensive sheep farming resulting in the local peasants heading south to the coastal plain to look for work. The arrival of the Black Death in 1348 finished the village off. The church subsequently fell into decay and was probably long gone when it was finally decommissioned in 1523.

Upper Barpham Farm has most likely been built on the site of the former manor and dates from the 16th century whilst the church originally lay in a field to the north called Chapel Croft and nothing remains except some very uneven ground. Lower Barpham lies next to the site of the medieval village whose earthworks are still visible in the adjacent field to the west.


Bibliography
"Angmering" in Victoria County History: A History of Sussex Vol. V part 2 (2009)
Peter Brandon - The South Downs (Phillimore, 2002)
John Vigar - The Deserted Villages of Sussex (Dovecote, 1994)
Martin B Snow - Barpham (2010) LinkExternal link
RW Standing - "barpham" from Angmering Village History (2005) LinkExternal link
A Barr Hamilton - "Bargeham Church" (SAC 1964) reprinted in LinkExternal link

Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   © Copyright Simon Carey and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
+
+
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
TIP: Click the map for Large scale mapping
Change to interactive Map >
Grid Square
TQ0710, 35 images   (more nearby search)
Photographer
  (find more nearby)
Date Taken
Thursday, 1 August, 2013   (more nearby)
Submitted
Monday, 5 August, 2013
Category
Field   (more nearby)
Subject Location
OSGB36: geotagged! TQ 0728 1019 [10m precision]
WGS84: 50:52.8752N 0:28.5840W
Camera Location
OSGB36: geotagged! TQ 0729 1037
View Direction
SOUTH (about 180 degrees)
Looking for a postcode? Try this pageExternal link
Clickable map
+


Image classification(about): Geograph
This page has been viewed about 42 times.
View this location: KML (Google Earth) · Google MapsExternal link · Bing MapsExternal link · Geograph Coverage Map · geotagged! More Links for this image
NW N NE
W Go E
SW S SE
thumbs up icon
[Mark
You are not logged in login | register