TQ1363 : Claremont - portico

taken 6 years ago, near to Esher, Surrey, Great Britain

This is 1 of 3 images, with title Claremont - portico in this square
Claremont - portico
Claremont - portico
The portico on the main facade of Claremont - see description below. See TQ1363 : Claremont - main facade for photo of the whole facade.
Claremont
Claremont is a Palladian mansion completed in 1774 and designed by Lancelot (Capability) Brown, for Lord Clive of India, with later involvement of Henry Holland and John Soane. Clive had bought the estate in 1768 and commissioned Brown to build the new house on higher and drier ground than the building previously on the site. This had been built in 1708 by Sir John Vanbrugh for his own use, Vanbrugh having bought the estate in that year, and was subsequently bought in 1714 by Thomas Pelham-Holles, Earl of Clare, who coined the name Claremont. Some of Vanbrugh’s original works survive in the form of the Belvedere and the White Cottage.

Clive never lived in his new house as he committed suicide in 1774, the year the new building was completed.

After a few other owners, the estate was by the state as a wedding present for Princes Charlotte (daughter of the future King George IV) and Prince Leopold of Saxe-Coburg. Claremont was a favourite place of Queen Victoria, and she spent periods of her childhood there, and also celebrated her first ten birthdays after her accession to the throne.

The house also served as the home of the exiled King of France, Louis Philippe, after he was deposed in 1848.

After Leopold’s death the estate reverted to the royal family, with whom it stayed until 1922. After a short period of ownership by Sir William Corry of the Cunard Shipping Line, the estate was in the hands of a property development company who sold off parts for housing.

In 1930, the house and remnants of the estate were bought by a school for girls from Christian Science families, adopting the name Claremont School. In 1978 a merger took place with a Chertsey prep school, Fan Court, resulting in the school’s present name, Claremont Fan Court School, which now co-educational, covering the age range 3 – 18. It occupies the main building, some of its outhouses and part of the original grounds, used as playing fields. It also owns the Belvedere (see TQ1363 : Belvedere Tower, Claremont Landscape Garden).

The house is grade 1 listed – see LinkExternal link. Some of outbuildings are grade II or grade II* listed, as are the entrance gates and lodges on Claremont Lane. The Belvedere is grade II* listed.

The main gardens are now preserved as the National Trust owned Claremont Landscape Gardens (see TQ1263 : The Lake, Claremont Landscape Garden).
Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   © Copyright Ian Capper and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
+
+
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
TIP: Click the map for Large scale mapping
Change to interactive Map >
Grid Square
TQ1363, 72 images   (more nearby )
Photographer
  (find more nearby)
Date Taken
Saturday, 14 September, 2013   (more nearby)
Submitted
Sunday, 15 September, 2013
Geographical Context
Suburb, Urban fringe  Educational sites 
Place (from Tags)
Esher 
Person (from Tags)
Capability Brown  Sir John Vanbrugh  Queen Victoria  Clive of India 
Subject Location
OSGB36: geotagged! TQ 134 633 [100m precision]
WGS84: 51:21.4549N 0:22.3289W
Camera Location
OSGB36: geotagged! TQ 134 632
View Direction
West-northwest (about 292 degrees)
Looking for a postcode? Try this pageExternal link
Clickable map
+

Other Tags
Claremont  Claremont Fan Court School  Grade I Listed 

Click a tag, to view other nearby images.

Image classification(about): Supplemental image
This page has been viewed about 19 times.
View this location: KML (Google Earth) · Google MapsExternal link · Bing MapsExternal link · Geograph Coverage Map · geotagged! More Links for this image
NW N NE
W Go E
SW S SE
[Mark
You are not logged in login | register