TQ3967 : The remains of the fountain in South Hill Wood
taken 10 years ago, near to Bromley, England
The remains of the fountain in South Hill Wood
South Hill Wood is a remnant of the semi-natural ancient woodland Toots Wood. It was purchased by Sir Thomas Dewey in 1887 and he built a large family residence with gardens of exotic and ornamental plants, sunken gardens and specimen trees, stables, a conservatory and a music pavilion. The gardens were at their peak between 1905 and 1914. Dewey was the Chair of Prudential Assurance Company and in 1903 was made Charter Mayor of Bromley. He lived at South Hill with his wife Clara and five children.
In 1926 the South Hill Wood residence was bought by Arthur Chilton King, manufacturer of Chilton Biscuits. In 1947 the Borough of Beckenham entered negotiations with Mr King to purchase the estate and create a public park. The negotiations were protracted and futile and in 1952 the Council compulsorily purchased the land and a public park was created and opened on 2nd May 1959. It included the remnants of Toots Wood, the old pond and features from Dewey's garden.
Since 1959, the woodland cover has regenerated and the remains of the fountain and water feature can still be found. This is the rather forlorn looking fountain which dates from around 1902.
This page has been viewed