J4498 : Spoil loading bank, Magheramorne (1983)

taken 36 years ago, near to Magheramorne and Duffstown, Northern Ireland

Spoil loading bank, Magheramorne (1983)
Spoil loading bank, Magheramorne (1983)
The siding and loading bank were built for the original 1960’s M2/Belfast Lough foreshore reclamation spoil contract. They were also used for the 1970’s Cloghan jetty J4498 : Spoil train at Magheramorne J4790 : Cloghan jetty, Belfast Lough spoil trains. By the 80’s their only use was for storage and loading ballast. Now disconnected and overgrown.
The Belfast - Larne railway
The line between Belfast York Road and Larne Harbour opened as far to Carrickfergus in 1848 and from Carrickfergus to Larne Harbour in 1862. There were stations at Belfast York Road (1848), Greencastle (1849/1916), Whitehouse (old station 1861/1906 replaced by a new station, further north 1906/1954), Whiteabbey (1848), Bleach Green 1934/1977), Jordanstown (by 1853), Trooperslane (by 1850), Mount (1925/72), Carrickfergus (old station 1848/62), Clipperstown (1925), Carrickfergus (1862), Barn (1925/77), Downshire (originally Downshire Park, 1925), Eden (1925/77), Kilroot (1862/77), Whitehead (first station 1863/64), Whitehead (second station 1864/77), Whitehead (1877), Whitehead Excursion (1907), Ballycarry (1862), Ballylig (now Magheramorne, 1862), Glynn (1864), Larne (1862/1974), Larne Town (new alignment, 1974) and Larne Harbour (1862).
York Road station closed in 1992, replaced by Yorkgate (on a different site) as part of the opening of the new cross-harbour line to Belfast Central.
The line between Belfast Central and Bleach Green Jct is also used by trains serving the Londonderry/Portrush lines.

Sources: Irish Railways Today (1967), the Northern Counties Railway (1973) and Johnson’s Atlas & Gazetteer of the Railways of Ireland (1997).
Magheramorne spoil heap, Larne Lough :: J4598

The spoil heap, at Magheramorne, on the western side of Larne Lough beside the Carrickfergus – Larne road, is a result of many years of cement production and limestone quarrying. The Ordnance Survey Memoirs (1830/40) suggest that Ballylig limeworks started burning lime in 1804 and that (at the time of the survey) up to 150 men were employed during the summer. They report 130,000 barrels of limestone being exported in some 340 ships. Production of cement seems to have started around the time of WW1 and ended in 1989. The quarry supplied the stone used in building the M2 foreshore motorway from Greencastle to Whitla Street, Belfast. There are now plans for a major development of “eco-friendly” houses on the heap. Note: this description and series of photographs appear as a matter of record only. I have no connection with Lafarge or any group(s) opposed to the plans. The caption and photographs should not be interpreted as expressing any opinion for or against the scheme. There is also a plan to convert the disused quarry) on the other side of the road) for leisure use.
Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   © Copyright Albert Bridge and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
Loading map... (JavaScript required)
Grid Square
J4498, 23 images   (more nearby )
  (find more nearby)
Date Taken
Sunday, 25 September, 1983   (more nearby)
Wednesday, 20 November, 2013
Geographical Context
Railways  Construction, Development 
Railway (from Tags)
Northern Ireland Railways 
Subject Location
Irish: geotagged! J 442 983 [100m precision]
WGS84: 54:48.7546N 5:45.4182W
Camera Location
Irish: geotagged! J 442 983
View Direction
West-northwest (about 292 degrees)
Clickable map

Other Tags
Magheramorne  Ballylig  Railway  Railway Siding  Railway Loading Bank  Railway Wagons 

Click a tag, to view other nearby images.

Image classification(about): Geograph
This page has been viewed about 301 times.
View this location: KML (Google Earth) · Google MapsExternal link · Bing MapsExternal link · Geograph Coverage Map · geotagged! More Links for this image
W Go E
You are not logged in login | register