TA0727 : Hessle Road, Kingston upon Hull
taken 13 years ago, near to Kingston Upon Hull, England

Public houses, or informally ‘pubs’, come and go, relocate, change their name … Trade directories provide a historical perspective: in 1803 there were 181 pubs in the then town, rising to a high of 311 in 1876, reducing to 173 by 1978, and likely to be much lower still today.
Further reading:
‘Public Houses of the Old Town since 1803’ by Heritage Information Centre, undated
‘Bottoms Up – A Walking Guide to Hull Pubs’ by Howard B. Fuller, 1993
‘Lost Pubs of Hull’ by Paul Gibson and Graham Wilkinson, 1999
‘Hull Pubs and Breweries’ by Paul Gibson, 2004
‘Ale Trail’ pubs in the Old Town: Link![]()
‘Low Ale Trail’ in Hull city centre: Link![]()
Real Ale Pub Guide (CAMRA): Link
The city’s fishing industry was founded by fishermen from Brixham (Devon) and Ramsgate (Kent) in mid-19th century. Initially, landing and marketing were confined to the pier, then a corner of Humber Dock, before moving again to the newly-opened Albert Dock in 1869. A significant boost came in 1883 when St Andrew’s Dock was opened solely for the fishing industry. The slump in the industry in the 1970s led to the closure of St Andrew’s Dock in 1975, when fishing vessels moved back to their old home in Albert Dock. In 2024, the future of the industry in the city is uncertain.
Further reading:
Arctic Corsair: Link![]()
Cod Wars: Link
End of the line? Link
Fish Dock - The Story of St Andrew’s Dock Hull, by Michael Thompson, 1989, 118 pp.
Fishing News: Link![]()
Hull Bullnose Heritage Group: Link
Hull Docklands, by Michael Thompson, 1990. St Andrew’s Dock is featured at pp 44 to 49.
Hull Maritime Museum: Link
Hull triple trawler tragedy: Link
Lillian Bilocca: Link![]()
St Andrews Dock Heritage Park Action Group: Link
The last gasp: Hull life during the fishing industry’s death – in pictures: Link![]()
The Uncertain Future of the Kirkella, the UK’s Largest Deep Sea Trawler: Link
Hessle Road once formed the main route between Kingston upon Hull and Hessle. The development of Hessle Road was closely linked with the growth and expansion of the fishing industry, beginning with the opening of Albert Dock in 1869. The road developed rapidly in the mid to late 19th century and dense housing developed in the streets and courts to provide homes for workers in the fishing industry. The ‘shopping’ street exhibits a variety of three-storeyed individual buildings and terraces, many of which have high levels of architectural detailing.
The Conservation Area extends from the junction of Strickland Street and Hessle Road on the east, to Gillett Street on the west, viz.: Nos. 172 to 436 Hessle Road (north side), Nos. 239 to 385 Hessle Road (south side), Nos. 1, 2 & 4 West Dock Avenue, Nos. 1 to 32 St Barnabas Court.
Hessle Road Character Appraisal and Management Plan (February 2025): Link![]()
Hessle Road Conservation Area leaflet: Link
