TA0727 : St George's Road, Kingston upon Hull
taken 13 years ago, near to Kingston Upon Hull, England

Frederick Stead Brodrick (1847-1927) was born in Kingston upon Hull, the nephew of the architect Cuthbert Brodrick. He entered into the practice of his uncle in 1870 when Cuthbert retired. Wikipedia: Link
1875, Frederick_Stead_Brodrick Frederick went into partnership with Richard George Smith (c1837-1901). Richard died at Beverley, 21 April 1901. Together, they designed Cogan House, Bowlalley lane, Kingston upon Hull, 1876-8, which became their offices: Link Arthur Randall Lowther (1850-1917) joined the practice in the 1890s. Arthur was born in Kingston upon Hull and died in Bagshot, Surrey, 19 January 1917. After Smith's death, William Snowball Walker (died 1930) joined the practice under the style of Brodrick, Lowther and Walker, at York Chambers, No.77 Lowgate: Link This partnership was dissolved on 30 June 1911. Lowther would carry on business at the same address under the name of Lowther and Rigby. Walker would carry on business, also at the same address, under the style of W.S. Walker and Son. London Gazette: Link
Three medieval Christian churches have survived to the present day: Holy Trinity Church, now Hull Minster, St Mary’s Church, Lowgate, and St James, Church Street, Sutton on Hull. Many other places of worship have come and gone in the intervening years. Some buildings have been converted for other purposes.
Further reading:
The Victoria History of the County of York East Riding, volume I, 1969, pp. 287-333; includes details of all places of worship of all denominations, up to 1966.
Parishes churches: Link
Protestant Nonconformity: Link
Roman Catholicism: Link
Other religious bodies: Link
Religious records and records of individuals of faith: Link
Religious records: Link![]()
Lost Churches and Chapels of Hull, by David Neave, 1991
GENUKI: Link
The city’s fishing industry was founded by fishermen from Brixham (Devon) and Ramsgate (Kent) in mid-19th century. Initially, landing and marketing were confined to the pier, then a corner of Humber Dock, before moving again to the newly-opened Albert Dock in 1869. A significant boost came in 1883 when St Andrew’s Dock was opened solely for the fishing industry. The slump in the industry in the 1970s led to the closure of St Andrew’s Dock in 1975, when fishing vessels moved back to their old home in Albert Dock. In 2024, the future of the industry in the city is uncertain.
Further reading:
Arctic Corsair: Link![]()
Cod Wars: Link
End of the line? Link
Fish Dock - The Story of St Andrew’s Dock Hull, by Michael Thompson, 1989, 118 pp.
Fishing News: Link![]()
Hull Bullnose Heritage Group: Link
Hull Docklands, by Michael Thompson, 1990. St Andrew’s Dock is featured at pp 44 to 49.
Hull Maritime Museum: Link
Hull triple trawler tragedy: Link
Lillian Bilocca: Link![]()
St Andrews Dock Heritage Park Action Group: Link
The last gasp: Hull life during the fishing industry’s death – in pictures: Link![]()
The Uncertain Future of the Kirkella, the UK’s Largest Deep Sea Trawler: Link
