NS3977 : Former site of walled garden of Strathleven House

taken 6 years ago, near to Renton, West Dunbartonshire, Great Britain

Former site of walled garden of Strathleven House
Former site of walled garden of Strathleven House
The same area is shown, viewed in the opposite direction, in NS3977 : Former site of walled garden of Strathleven House; that item has more on the walled garden that used to stand here. I saw the walled garden several times when it was intact, but for several decades there has been nothing left of it but mounds of rubble. At the time of writing, OS mapping, at some but not all scales, still shows the outline of the walled garden here.

Lying in the woods nearby is another relic of the days of the walled garden, namely, a rusted metal notice stating that "any persons found removing trees, plants or shrubs from the area will be prosecuted".

There used to be a wash-house nearby, on the bank of the Leven; it was still here in the 1820s, but it was cleared away before the earliest OS maps of the area were made (c.1860).
Walled garden of Strathleven House
The walled garden associated with Strathleven House Link was in existence in the 1820s, if not before; its features included a statue and sundial. When the Vale of Leven Industrial Estate was set up in 1948, the walled garden, like the house, was retained, and, for a time, it supplied flowers for other industrial estates, and fruit and vegetables for their canteens, but it fell into disrepair and was demolished a few decades ago.
Strathleven House :: NS3978
The area in which the house stands was once known as Kirkmichael. Here, Levenside House, as it was originally known, was built c.1700 for William Cochrane of Kilmaronock; it is Palladian in style, and is probably the work of James Smith. The name of the house and estate was later changed again, from Levenside to Strathleven. The Strathleven Estate came to be very extensive; one portion, containing the house, was compulsorily purchased in 1947 by the Board of Trade, and, shortly thereafter, was developed into the Vale of Leven Industrial Estate (see Link for this). The remaining, more outlying, parts of the Strathleven Estate were sold off in lots in 1950.
Vale of Leven Industrial Estate :: NS3978
Of the very extensive lands that came to be associated with Strathleven House Link a portion was compulsorily purchased by the Board of Trade in 1947, and was developed by Scottish Industrial Estates Ltd in 1948 to form the Vale of Leven Industrial Estate. At the estate's inception, Westclox Ltd and Burroughs Adding Machines had factories here, but they are now gone. Polaroid, a later arrival, lasted until 2017. The estate is used by a number of smaller businesses, and there are some vehicle depots.
Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   © Copyright Lairich Rig and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
+
+
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
TIP: Click the map for Large scale mapping
Change to interactive Map >
Grid Square
NS3977, 312 images   (more nearby )
Photographer
  (find more nearby)
Date Taken
Monday, 20 January, 2014   (more nearby)
Submitted
Saturday, 1 February, 2014
Geographical Context
Derelict, Disused 
Ruin (from Tags)
Walled Garden 
Place (from Tags)
Vale of Leven Industrial Estate 
Subject Location
OSGB36: geotagged! NS 3940 7793 [10m precision]
WGS84: 55:58.0460N 4:34.4824W
Camera Location
OSGB36: geotagged! NS 3951 7795
View Direction
WEST (about 270 degrees)
Looking for a postcode? Try this pageExternal link
Clickable map
+


Image classification(about): Geograph
This page has been viewed about 57 times.
View this location: KML (Google Earth) · Google MapsExternal link · Bing MapsExternal link · Geograph Coverage Map · geotagged! More Links for this image
NW N NE
W Go E
SW S SE
[Mark
You are not logged in login | register