SP4173 : Monument to the 29th Division, 1921 – inscription on the north side

taken 6 years ago, near to Stretton-on-Dunsmore, Warwickshire, Great Britain

Monument to the 29th Division, 1921 – inscription on the north side
Monument to the 29th Division, 1921 – inscription on the north side
This inscription is in the central position on the monument, below the commemorative panel and the scarlet triangle emblem Link The inscription reads [my punctuation]:

XXIXth Division
Order of Battle on leaving England March 1915

Commander
Maj.Gen. Aylmer Hunter-Weston CB DSO
ADC. Capt. I.G.O.Thompson
ADC. Capt. Gerald Panton

General Staff
GSO1. Col. O.Wolley-Dod DSO
GSO2. Lt.Col. H.E.Street
GSO3. Capt. C.A.Milward

Administrative Staff
OMG. Lt.Col. C.J.Percival DSO
DAQMG. Major E.R.O.Hara
DAAQMG. Capt. B.J.Curling

Departmental Staff
ADMS. Lt.Col. M.T.Yarr
DADMS. Major J.G.Bell
PVO. Major J.J.Griffiths
DADOS. Major J.Howell-Jones
APM. Capt. H.F.G.Carter
Div.Chaplain. Rev. H.A.Hall
Gallipoli and the 29th Division
When war broke out in 1914 half of Britain’s regular army was garrisoning the Empire. Many men were recalled in order to help break the stalemate on the Western Front. Assembled in the new 29th Division they were billeted and trained in Warwickshire and north Oxfordshire. Friendships and local economies flourished. At this time Winston Churchill, then First Lord of the Admiralty, conceived a plan to assist Britain’s ally, Russia. Her Black Sea navy would be able to reach the Mediterranean if control of the Dardanelles strait could be wrested from Turkey. Tasked with bombarding Constantinople to knock Turkey out of the war, the British navy attempted to force a passage of the Dardanelles but met resistance from German-trained Turkish troops on the Gallipoli peninsula. Churchill overruled his generals to secure the deployment of the 29th Division to Gallipoli.

On 12th March 1915 King George V reviewed the troops in Warwickshire. Soon afterwards the 19,000 men sailed for the Mediterranean. They were joined by forces from Australia and New Zealand before eventually proceeding to the Dardanelles. So began the terrible slaughter of Gallipoli with the first landings in April 1915 when the ANZAC troops suffered enormous losses. In the rocky terrain through the heat and dust of summer and autumn the Allies fought at close quarters with fanatical Turkish troops without any strategic gain. Vermin, starvation and disease were rife. Not until the end of the year did the politicians and the incompetent generals acknowledge stalemate at Gallipoli. Stealthily, little by little, without loss of human life, the forces were withdrawn.

250,000 Allied troops and at least as many Turks lost their lives. The monument to the 29th Division near Stretton-on-Dunsmore in Warwickshire is a war memorial in everything but name. It avoids any mention of the slaughter but instead recalls the King’s review of the troops and their stay in the county before they were called upon to offer their “incomparable services”.

The memorial to the 29th Division consists of the Dunchurch Avenue and the monument. A storm in 1916 blew down many trees in the 18th-century avenue of elms across Dunsmore Heath. The Dunchurch Avenue Committee, formed by Warwickshire County Council in 1917, negotiated the conveyance to the county of the rights to the trees and verges from the Duke of Buccleugh. In response to the strong local wish for a memorial the committee invited subscriptions for a monument and the replanting of the avenue. The Duke donated £720 to the fund and the freehold of the land for the monument. Two miles of the avenue were replanted in the autumn and winter of 1920-21 by Messrs Dicksons of Chester at a cost of £664·2s·0d. The monument was designed by Bridgman & Sons of Lichfield and erected late in 1920 at a cost of £646. It is 12·3 metres high overall. It was unveiled before a crowd of over 7,000 by the Lord Lieutenant of Warwickshire, Lord Craven, on Tuesday 24th May 1921.

The monument was originally flanked by two German field guns captured by the 29th Division in France. When they were removed has not been ascertained: perhaps during the Second World War, or when the second carriageway was added to the A45 in the 1950s, reportedly.

National Inventory of War Memorials reference 19428 LinkExternal link

Essential reading:
• Alan Moorehead. Gallipoli. London: André Deutsch Ltd, 1989 edition.
• Chris Holland and Tony Jordan. The story behind the monument: the 29th Division in Warwickshire and north Oxfordshire, January-March 1915. Stretton Millennium History Group, 2005.
• On-site information board Link
• Report of the unveiling, Warwick & Warwickshire Advertiser, 1921, May 28.
Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   © Copyright Robin Stott and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
+
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
TIP: Click the map for Large scale mapping
Change to interactive Map >
Grid Square
SP4173, 37 images   (more nearby )
Photographer
  (find more nearby)
Date Taken
Thursday, 15 August, 2013   (more nearby)
Submitted
Wednesday, 12 February, 2014
Geographical Context
Lowlands  Historic sites and artefacts  People, Events 
Place (from Tags)
Gallipoli 
Subject Location
OSGB36: geotagged! SP 4148 7326 [10m precision]
WGS84: 52:21.3504N 1:23.5427W
Camera Location
OSGB36: geotagged! SP 4148 7326
View Direction
SOUTH (about 180 degrees)
Looking for a postcode? Try this pageExternal link
Clickable map
+

Other Tags
First World War Memorial  29th Division  Monument  Commemorative Inscription 

Click a tag, to view other nearby images.

Image classification(about): Supplemental image
This page has been viewed about 58 times.
View this location: KML (Google Earth) · Google MapsExternal link · Bing MapsExternal link · Geograph Coverage Map · geotagged! More Links for this image
NW N NE
W Go E
SW S SE
[Mark
You are not logged in login | register