J3584 : Steam locomotive no 85, Jordanstown (March 2014)

taken 5 years ago, near to Jordanstown, Whiteabbey and Greenisland, Northern Ireland

Steam locomotive no 85, Jordanstown (March 2014)
Steam locomotive no 85, Jordanstown (March 2014)
Preserved ex-Great Northern steam locomotive no 85 LinkExternal link has now returned to service. The Railway Preservation Society of Ireland ran some running-in trips, today, which it described as “No.85 "Merlin" Running-In Trips Sunday 30th March Be the first in 10 years to travel behind GNR(I) No.85 "Merlin". A series of trial trains are being run - open to all! There will be two return trips from Belfast Central to Whitehead”. This is the 09.35 ex-Whitehead approaching Jordanstown. See also J3480 : Steam locomotive no 85, Whitehouse (March 2014).
The Belfast - Larne railway
The line between Belfast York Road and Larne Harbour opened as far to Carrickfergus in 1848 and from Carrickfergus to Larne Harbour in 1862. There were stations at Belfast York Road (1848), Greencastle (1849/1916), Whitehouse (old station 1861/1906 replaced by a new station, further north 1906/1954), Whiteabbey (1848), Bleach Green 1934/1977), Jordanstown (by 1853), Trooperslane (by 1850), Mount (1925/72), Carrickfergus (old station 1848/62), Clipperstown (1925), Carrickfergus (1862), Barn (1925/77), Downshire (originally Downshire Park, 1925), Eden (1925/77), Kilroot (1862/77), Whitehead (first station 1863/64), Whitehead (second station 1864/77), Whitehead (1877), Whitehead Excursion (1907), Ballycarry (1862), Ballylig (now Magheramorne, 1862), Glynn (1864), Larne (1862/1974), Larne Town (new alignment, 1974) and Larne Harbour (1862).
York Road station closed in 1992, replaced by Yorkgate (on a different site) as part of the opening of the new cross-harbour line to Belfast Central.
The line between Belfast Central and Bleach Green Jct is also used by trains serving the Londonderry/Portrush lines.

Sources: Irish Railways Today (1967), the Northern Counties Railway (1973) and Johnson’s Atlas & Gazetteer of the Railways of Ireland (1997).
Trains of the RPSI :: J3474
Formed in 1964, the Railway Preservation Society of Ireland (RPSI) is a registered charity which preserves steam and diesel locomotives and other rolling stock built for the Irish railway system. The RPSI maintains a museum at Whitehead and operates steam-hauled excursions over the present day Irish railway network for families and enthusiasts.
The purpose of this Shared Description is to provide a single reference point for photographs of RPSI trains. All queries regarding past or future RPSI operations should be directed to the RPSI through its web site: LinkExternal link
Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   © Copyright Albert Bridge and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
Loading map... (JavaScript required)
Grid Square
J3584, 29 images   (more nearby )
Photographer
  (find more nearby)
Date Taken
Sunday, 30 March, 2014   (more nearby)
Submitted
Sunday, 30 March, 2014
Geographical Context
Railways 
Railway (from Tags)
Northern Ireland Railways 
Subject Location
Irish: geotagged! J 358 841 [100m precision]
WGS84: 54:41.2423N 5:53.6870W
Camera Location
Irish: geotagged! J 358 841
View Direction
North-northeast (about 22 degrees)
Clickable map
+

Image classification(about): Supplemental image
This page has been viewed about 207 times.
View this location: KML (Google Earth) · Google MapsExternal link · Bing MapsExternal link · Geograph Coverage Map · geotagged! More Links for this image
NW N NE
W Go E
SW S SE
[Mark
You are not logged in login | register