SD4314 : Trumpeter Swan, Martin Mere Wetland Centre

taken 5 years ago, near to Tarlscough, Lancashire, Great Britain

Trumpeter Swan, Martin Mere Wetland Centre
Trumpeter Swan, Martin Mere Wetland Centre
The Trumpeter Swan (Cygnus buccinator) is native to North America and is, on average, the largest extant waterfowl species on earth. It is the North American counterpart of the European Whooper Swan. As well as being the biggest of all wildfowl, it is also, reputedly, the loudest; hence the name “Trumpeter”

Trumpeter Swans were hunted heavily during the 19th and early 20th centuries both as game and a source of feathers used mostly in the fashion industry; the species is now recovering thanks to strict protection and the establishment of protected areas.
WWT Martin Mere Wetland Centre :: SD4214
WWT Martin Mere is a wetland nature reserve managed by the Wildfowl and Wetlands Trust (WWT). Situated on the West Lancashire Coastal Plain, it is one of nine reserves managed by the WWT, and it is designated as a Site of Special Scientific Interest (SSSI), an SPA (Special Protection Area) and a Ramsar Site LinkExternal link .

The centre takes its name from the mere on the west side of the reserve which has been provided with eleven observation hides. On the east side of the reserve there are a number of pens providing habitats for birds from Africa, Australasia, North America, South America, Siberia, and Asia.

The lake, Martin Mere, was formed at the end of the last Ice Age, when water filled a depression in the glacial drift. Until the late seventeenth century, this lake was the largest body of fresh water in England (5 miles in diameter, 20 miles circumference – three times the size of Lake Windermere). Christopher Saxton's map from 1579 LinkExternal link shows the original giant lake stretching from Rufford in the east, to Churchtown (then known as North Meols) in the west.

Active management of the mere began in 1692 when the first drainage channel was dug, and further attempts to drain it were made in the 1780s, but effective drainage was only achieved in the mid-19th century with the introduction of steam pumping. Farms and market gardens were established on the rich soils of the reclaimed land.

The first 363 acres of the site, known as Holcroft's Farm, were purchased in 1972 through local fundraising and the site was opened to the public in 1975 by Sir Peter Scott, founder of the WWT. Since then the reserve has been extended and is now one of Britain's most important wetland sites, visited by thousands of migrating wildfowl in the autumn and winter. It is also home to 100 species of tame birds, many on the endangered list and part of breeding programmes.

LinkExternal link WWT Martin Mere Wetland Centre website
LinkExternal link RSPB Liverpool group
LinkExternal link Wikipedia
Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   © Copyright David Dixon and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
+
+
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
TIP: Click the map for Large scale mapping
Change to interactive Map >
Grid Square
SD4314, 53 images   (more nearby )
Photographer
  (find more nearby)
Date Taken
Friday, 18 April, 2014   (more nearby)
Submitted
Monday, 21 April, 2014
Geographical Context
Lakes, Wetland, Bog  Wild Animals, Plants and Mushrooms 
Subject Location
OSGB36: geotagged! SD 4304 1417 [10m precision]
WGS84: 53:37.2574N 2:51.7569W
Camera Location
OSGB36: geotagged! SD 4303 1417
View Direction
East-northeast (about 67 degrees)
Looking for a postcode? Try this pageExternal link
Clickable map
+

Image classification(about): Supplemental image
This page has been viewed about 45 times.
View this location: KML (Google Earth) · Google MapsExternal link · Bing MapsExternal link · Geograph Coverage Map · geotagged! More Links for this image
NW N NE
W Go E
SW S SE
[Mark
You are not logged in login | register