TL4559 : Jesus College Boathouse

taken 7 years ago, near to Cambridge, Cambridgeshire, Great Britain

This is 1 of 11 images, with title Jesus College Boathouse in this square
Jesus College Boathouse
Jesus College Boathouse
Jesus College boathouse was designed by the architect Morley Horder, and was built in 1932 to replace the Victorian structure destroyed by fire in September of that year. It is a Building of Local Interest.
The roof is hipped, with a central clock tower topped by a weathervane. The roof tiles are said to have come from old farm buildings owned by the College.
The first floor has a central balcony with a timber balustrade displaying the College crest. Opening onto this are two windows and a single partially glazed timber door. The exterior of this floor of the building is covered by timber panelling. On either side of the balcony are 10x10 top hung casement windows.
The brown brick ground floor has three upwards-opening doors and one timber door.
Jesus College :: TL4558

Jesus College is a constituent college of the University of Cambridge. The College's full name is "The College of the Blessed Virgin Mary, Saint John the Evangelist and the glorious Virgin Saint Radegund, near Cambridge". Its common name comes from the name of its Chapel, Jesus Chapel.
The college was established between 1496 and 1516, on the site of the twelfth-century Benedictine nunnery of St Mary and St Radegund by John Alcock, then Bishop of Ely. The cockerel is a symbol of Jesus College, after the surname of its founder, Alcock.
The College is also known for its grounds, which are unlike those of Cambridgeís other old colleges, being much more spacious. Set back from Jesus Lane, all the courts are open on at least one side (with the exception of the Cloister). The main entrance to the College is a walled passage, called the "Chimney" (derived from the French word chemin).
Much of the college is Grade I listed.
Wikipedia:
LinkExternal link
Website: LinkExternal link

Cambridge Boathouses

The college boat houses are along the River Cam, downstream of Victoria Bridge.
Rowing first started at Cambridge in 1825, before it was introduced at Oxford. The first College boat club established was St. Johns, closely followed by Trinity. By 1830 Jesus, Magdalene, Emmanuel, Christís, Corpus Christi and Peterhouse Colleges had also founded boat clubs, and by 1835 a total of fifteen Colleges had them. Newnham ladies founded the first womenís boat club in 1896.
The first College boathouse was built for Trinity in 1872, and by the end of the nineteenth century most of the Colleges had built, or started to build, boathouses of their own.

Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   © Copyright N Chadwick and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
+
+
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
TIP: Click the map for Large scale mapping
Change to interactive Map >
Grid Square
TL4559, 1208 images   (more nearby search)
Photographer
  (find more nearby)
Date Taken
Saturday, 15 March, 2014   (more nearby)
Submitted
Tuesday, 6 May, 2014
Geographical Context
Sport, Leisure  Educational sites 
Subject Location
OSGB36: geotagged! TL 4572 5911 [10m precision]
WGS84: 52:12.6568N 0:7.8788E
Camera Location
OSGB36: geotagged! TL 4569 5907
View Direction
North-northeast (about 22 degrees)
Looking for a postcode? Try this pageExternal link
Clickable map
+


Image classification(about): Geograph
This page has been viewed about 81 times.
View this location: KML (Google Earth) · Google MapsExternal link · Bing MapsExternal link · Geograph Coverage Map · geotagged! More Links for this image
NW N NE
W Go E
SW S SE
thumbs up icon
[Mark
You are not logged in login | register