TL0934 : Wrest Park - Lady Jemima reading

taken 8 years ago, near to Silsoe, Bedfordshire, Great Britain

Wrest Park - Lady Jemima reading
Wrest Park - Lady Jemima reading
Another view of TL0934 : Wrest Park - Statue in Duchess's Square from a different angle with the book the lady is reading clearly visible. It is thought probable that the lady depicted is Jemima, Marchioness Grey. See the linked image for more information.
Note: I was a little confused as to how Jemima (9/10/1723 - 10/1/1797) was a Marchioness though her father was only an Earl (one step down the peerage) - and she was married (22/5/1740) to an Earl (from 6/3/1764) too. The reason was that her maternal grandfather was Henry, 1st Duke of Kent. A Duke being the highest level of nobility, he had the secondary title of Marquess (de) Grey. A special "remainder" meant that on his death (5/6/1740), Jemima, though she couldn't inherit the dukedom was entitled to the marquessate, so she became Marchioness de Grey in here own right. When she died in 1797, the title died with her.
Wrest House and Park :: TL0935

A historic landscape and mansion, the home of the de Grey family from the early-13C until 1917, when it was sold after the death of Auberon Herbert, the 9th Baron Lucas. The French chateau-style mansion, built in the 1830s, replaced an earlier house on the site. The landscape was influenced by: Henry, Duke of Kent, who laid out the massive formal woodland gardens, with water features and abundant statues and buildings, in the early 18C; Jemima, Marchioness Grey, modified the garden in the second half of the 18C in line with the then fashionable English landscape style; and Thomas Earl de Grey, who created the Upper Gardens in the 1830s after demolishing the original family house and building the existing house.
It was used as a hospital during WWI, bought in 1939 by the Sun Insurance Company as its WWII HQ. In 1946 it was bought by the Ministry of Public Buildings and Works and leased to the National Institute of Agricultural Engineering, which became the Silsoe Institute, until that was incorporated with and moved to Cranfield University in 2006. When the Institute closed the house was taken over by English Heritage and a 20-year plan to restore the gardens was initiated to reveal their development and history from 1680-1917, the first phase of which was revealed in 2011. There is now a visitor centre, the house has office space to rent, and some of the ground floor has been opened to visitors with an exhibition of the history of the house. LinkExternal link

Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   © Copyright Rob Farrow and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
+
+
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
TIP: Click the map for Large scale mapping
Change to interactive Map >
Grid Square
TL0934, 52 images   (more nearby search)
Photographer
  (find more nearby)
Date Taken
Monday, 5 May, 2014   (more nearby)
Submitted
Tuesday, 6 May, 2014
Geographical Context
Historic sites and artefacts  Country estates 
Primary Subject of Photo
Statue 
Subject Location
OSGB36: geotagged! TL 0903 3487 [10m precision]
WGS84: 52:0.0944N 0:24.7899W
Camera Location
OSGB36: geotagged! TL 0904 3488
View Direction
West-southwest (about 247 degrees)
Looking for a postcode? Try this pageExternal link
Clickable map
+

Other Tags
English Heritage Property 

Click a tag, to view other nearby images.

Image classification(about): Supplemental image
This page has been viewed about 64 times.
View this location: KML (Google Earth) · Google MapsExternal link · Bing MapsExternal link · Geograph Coverage Map · geotagged! More Links for this image
Background for photo viewing: White / /
NW N NE
W Go E
SW S SE
thumbs up icon
[Mark
You are not logged in login | register