TQ4109 : Priory Park, Lewes

taken 6 years ago, near to Lewes, East Sussex, Great Britain

This is 1 of 5 images, with title Priory Park, Lewes in this square
Priory Park, Lewes
Priory Park, Lewes
Looking towards the ruins of the Priory of St Pancras. The crowds are awaiting an enactment of a play marking the 750th anniversary of the battle of Lewes when the armies of Simon De Montfort beat the forces of King Henry III
Priory of St Pancras
Founded in 1077 under the sponsorship of William de Warrenne, one of William the Conqueror's trusted lieutenants, on the site of a former Saxon church dedicated to St Pancras. The boundary of the Priory followed modern day ham Lane to the east, Cockshut Road to the west, the stream known as The Cockshut to the south - most likely straightened during the construction of the Priory with a small wharf that ran into the grounds, and what is now Southover High Street, Priory Street and Mountfield Road to the north. The priory was well endowed with lands and rich enough to begin construction of a huge church which was completed by the 13th century and was said to be larger than Chichester Cathedral. During that century the priory briefly became the headquarters of Henry III's army prior to the battle of Lewes.

At dissolution only 23 monks remained and the priory had become unpopular with locals most likely aiding the strident protestantism that emerged within the town which indirectly led to its current bonfire celebrations. Having been suppressed in 1537 it was pulled down the following year with land been granted to Thomas Cromwell who built a house on part of the site that survived until that too was demolished in 1668. Much of the complex was reduced to rubble and for many years during the 16th century it became a large building material yard with much of the stonework carted off to be used in the local buildings of the towns as well as in manors such as Kingston and Hangleton near Brighton. The site was split in two by the construction of the Lewes-Brighton railway in 1846 though that work did unearth the caskets of the original founder and his wife. Since then the land north of the railway has remained in private hands will that to the south is now a public park.
Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   © Copyright Paul Gillett and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
+
+
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
TIP: Click the map for Large scale mapping
Change to interactive Map >
Grid Square
TQ4109, 502 images   (more nearby )
Photographer
  (find more nearby)
Date Taken
Saturday, 17 May, 2014   (more nearby)
Submitted
Saturday, 17 May, 2014
Geographical Context
Historic sites and artefacts  Park and Public Gardens  People, Events 
Place (from Tags)
Lewes 
Park (from Tags)
Priory Park 
Primary Subject of Photo
Park 
Subject Location
OSGB36: geotagged! TQ 41417 09532 [1m precision]
WGS84: 50:52.0801N 0:0.4991E
Camera Location
OSGB36: geotagged! TQ 41392 09488
View Direction
North-northeast (about 22 degrees)
Looking for a postcode? Try this pageExternal link
Clickable map
+

Other Tags
Park  Ruins  Priory Ruins 

Click a tag, to view other nearby images.

Image classification(about): Geograph
This page has been viewed about 30 times.
View this location: KML (Google Earth) · Google MapsExternal link · Bing MapsExternal link · Geograph Coverage Map · geotagged! More Links for this image
NW N NE
W Go E
SW S SE
[Mark
You are not logged in login | register