SD8304 : Heaton Park, Garden In Front Of The Dower House

taken 5 years ago, near to Simister, Bury, Great Britain

Heaton Park, Garden In Front Of The Dower House
Heaton Park, Garden In Front Of The Dower House
The Dower House was a plain 18th century brick building that was transformed into an attractive feature or “eyecatcher” when the decorative classical style façade, in the form of a pedimented temple front with Tuscan columns, was added in 1803. Old maps of the park show that in 1844 it was called “Poultry House” and in 1893 it was called “The Cottage”.

The ha-ha, or sunken wall, in front of the house stopped cattle in the meadow grazing on the formal lawn; it makes a barrier which cannot be seen from the house.

Since 2004, the Dower House has been home to the Manchester Bee Keepers Association LinkExternal link and is furnished with an observation hive, equipment and displays with an apiary in the garden behind the house.

The dower House is a Grade II listed building (English Heritage Building ID: 388174 LinkExternal link British Listed Buildings)
Heaton Park
Heaton Park, which comprises the grounds of a Grade I listed neoclassical 18th-century country house, Heaton Hall (SD8304 : Heaton Hall) is located 4 miles north of Manchester city centre. Covering an area reported as over 640 acres, it is the biggest park in Greater Manchester and one of the largest municipal parks in Europe. Heaton Park is listed Grade 2 on the English Heritage Register of Parks and there are nine listed structures in the park. Details can be found on the English Heritage website LinkExternal link .

Heaton Park was sold to Manchester City Council in 1902, by the Earl of Wilton, to be kept for the enjoyment and recreation of the public. Manchester Council later used part of the north side of the park for the construction of a large gravity feed reservoir; interrupted by the First World War, this work was only completed in the 1920s. A municipal golf course (SD8304 : Heaton Park Golf Course) was also laid out and a large boating lake excavated (SD8303 : Heaton Park Boating Lake). The former facade of the first Manchester Town Hall on King Street (SD8303 : Heaton Park - Town Hall Colonnade) was re-erected as a backdrop to the lake.

During the First World War the Manchester Pals used the park as a training depot. The park was also used as the site of a Royal Air Force depot in the Second World War.

At the end of the 20th century the park was renovated and some of the buildings and original vistas from the 18th century landscape design were restored as part of a millennium project partnership between the Heritage Lottery Fund and Manchester City Council.

LinkExternal link Heaton Park website
Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   © Copyright David Dixon and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
+
+
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
TIP: Click the map for Large scale mapping
Change to interactive Map >
Grid Square
SD8304, 172 images   (more nearby )
Photographer
  (find more nearby)
Date Taken
Tuesday, 13 May, 2014   (more nearby)
Submitted
Sunday, 18 May, 2014
Geographical Context
Historic sites and artefacts  Park and Public Gardens  Suburb, Urban fringe 
Subject Location
OSGB36: geotagged! SD 8310 0470 [10m precision]
WGS84: 53:32.3203N 2:15.3883W
Camera Location
OSGB36: geotagged! SD 8312 0465
View Direction
North-northwest (about 337 degrees)
Looking for a postcode? Try this pageExternal link
Clickable map
+

Image classification(about): Geograph
This page has been viewed about 19 times.
View this location: KML (Google Earth) · Google MapsExternal link · Bing MapsExternal link · Geograph Coverage Map · geotagged! More Links for this image
NW N NE
W Go E
SW S SE
[Mark
You are not logged in login | register