NS5380 : The ruins of Arlehaven

taken 6 years ago, near to Netherton, Stirling, Great Britain

The ruins of Arlehaven
The ruins of Arlehaven
Other contributors' earlier pictures show the mostly-intact building as well as its ruin: NS5380 : Arlehaven / NS5380 : Arlehaven on the West Highland Way / NS5380 : Remains of Arlehaven.

On the first-edition OS map (surveyed in 1860), the building was labelled West Arlehaven (in contrast with East Arlehaven at NS54028023); the "West" was later dropped. The second-edition map (revised c.1896) used the names "Harlhame" (for West Arlehaven) and "Arlehaven" (for East Arlehaven).

The forms "Harlhame" and "Arlehaven" each preserve some elements of the older spellings of this place-name; much of what follows is from the book "The Parish of Strathblane" (1886) by John Guthrie Smith.

The area is referred to as Harlhewan in a deed of 1545, which grants certain lands, forfeited by the Earl of Lennox, to the Earl of Montrose (p15). In 1815, part of the lands of Arlehaven were bought by John Guthrie from James Norval/Narwall. Mr Guthrie made various improvements to this and the other lands making up his estate, and he built march dykes around them (pp42-43).

Other names for this particular area: "John Craig of Laggan was grandfather of Archibald Craig, who was tennant of Laggan in 1743, and who removed from Laggan to Meadowhead or Wester Arlehaven in 1775" (p67).

[The Grassom map (1817) of Stirlingshire shows a "Meadowhead", but on the other side (NE) of the Blane Water. In a similar way, the Grassom map and Roy's Military Survey (1740s-50s) both include a "Townhead", but on opposite sides of the river.]

Pages 74-75 give a detailed account of the manner in which various parts of the Arlehaven lands changed hands from the fifteenth century down to Smith's own day. He notes that "when King James I granted certain lands, as already shown, to his brother-in-law, William Edmonstone, prior to 1434, 'Erleleven' was among them; and when King James II, in 1452, erected the same into the Barony of Duntreath, 'Arleywin' was included, and down to the present time this part of Arlehaven, a fifty shilling land, has continued to belong to the Edmonstones, with the exception of (1) 11 acres 1 rood and 10 falls which lay into Carbeth, and were in 1817 exchanged with John Guthrie for part of Carbeth, and (2) of 'the poffle called Dallinschachan and Boglands thereof, part of the fifty shilling lands of Arlevin', which were sold by William Edmonstone of Duntreath in 1614, to John and Manasseh Lyle, and bought back again by his descendant, Archibald Edmonstone, the laird in 1717".

The heading for that section of the book gives the following variations of the name: Arlehaven, Arleywin, Arlevin, Erleleven, Harlhewing, Harlehame, Harlehaven, Harleheavin. The sixth of these is close to the form that appears on the second-edition OS map (see above).

In the present view, the wooded hill on the right is Dumgoyach. The knoll on the left with a lone tree is shown from a distance in NS5380 : Field gate. Between knoll and hill, Ben Lomond can be seen near the centre of the skyline.
Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   © Copyright Lairich Rig and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
+
+
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
TIP: Click the map for Large scale mapping
Change to interactive Map >
Grid Square
NS5380, 31 images   (more nearby )
Photographer
  (find more nearby)
Date Taken
Friday, 18 April, 2014   (more nearby)
Submitted
Monday, 26 May, 2014
Geographical Context
Derelict, Disused 
Ruin (from Tags)
House 
Primary Subject of Photo
Ruin 
Subject Location
OSGB36: geotagged! NS 5344 8019 [10m precision]
WGS84: 55:59.5328N 4:21.0728W
Camera Location
OSGB36: geotagged! NS 5345 8018
View Direction
Northwest (about 315 degrees)
Looking for a postcode? Try this pageExternal link
Clickable map
+


Image classification(about): Geograph
This page has been viewed about 164 times.
View this location: KML (Google Earth) · Google MapsExternal link · Bing MapsExternal link · Geograph Coverage Map · geotagged! More Links for this image
NW N NE
W Go E
SW S SE
[Mark
You are not logged in login | register