SE0853 : Beamsley Hospital, Beamsley

taken 13 years ago, near to Beamsley, North Yorkshire, Great Britain

Beamsley Hospital, Beamsley
Beamsley Hospital, Beamsley
Another view of the circular almshouse building. This is the original 16C building, founded in 1593 by Margaret, Countess of Cumberland. The range facing the road was added later by Lady Anne Clifford. The almshouses were in use until the 1970s, by which time the cost of the major works needed to repair them had become too great. They are now owned by the Landmark Trust. The plan of the circular building was a central chapel, with clerestory lighting, surrounded by seven small rooms, originally one for each Sister.
Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   © Copyright Humphrey Bolton and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
+
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
TIP: Click the map for Large scale mapping
Change to interactive Map >
Grid Square
SE0853, 53 images   (more nearby )
Photographer
  (find more nearby)
Date Taken
Saturday, 14 April, 2007   (more nearby)
Submitted
Sunday, 15 April, 2007
Category
Almshouses   (more nearby)
Subject Location
OSGB36: geotagged! SE 082 530 [100m precision]
WGS84: 53:58.3803N 1:52.5886W
Camera Location
OSGB36: geotagged! SE 082 530
View Direction
West-northwest (about 292 degrees)
Looking for a postcode? Try this pageExternal link
Clickable map
+


Image classification(about): Geograph (Third Visitor for SE0853)
This page has been viewed about 166 times.
View this location: KML (Google Earth) · Google MapsExternal link · Bing MapsExternal link · Geograph Coverage Map · geotagged! More Links for this image
NW N NE
W Go E
SW S SE
[Mark
You are not logged in login | register