SD1878 : The eastern end of Hodbarrow Lake nature reserve

taken 5 years ago, near to Haverigg, Cumbria, Great Britain

The eastern end of Hodbarrow Lake nature reserve
The eastern end of Hodbarrow Lake nature reserve
The lagoon and nature reserve we see now are the result of the industry of the Hodbarrow Mining Company.
The Hodbarrow Mining Co at Millom
The Hodbarrow Mining Company was formed in 1853, when the then Earl of Lonsdale granted permission to Nathaniel Caine & John Barratt to search near Millom for iron ore (in the form of haematite). Its discovery started the boomtimes for the town, which grew up on the back of the Millom Ironworks, built in the 1860s.
The nature reserve and lake we see now is the result of that mining work, dammed to the seaward end by the Outer Barrier, which was constructed between 1900 & 1905 at a cost of nearly 600,000. It replaced previous, smaller scale protective works that had been breached by the sea in 1885 and 1898, flooding the mines. Most of the 5157 concrete blocks have a dimension of 11 x 6 x 6, and weigh 25 tonnes apiece, although there are also a couple of hundred 20-tonners in the walls; they were all made on site of a mixture of 6:1 aggregate to cement, with a maximum of 20% coarse aggregate.
One condition of building the Outer Barrier was that the company also had to provide a lighthouse, which was duly erected in the February of 1905, and was operational by July of that year. No photographs have ever been found that prove the design of the optics, but it is thought to have been a 4th order Fresnel Lens assembly, supplied by the Parisien company that built the tower, and would have produced a flashing beam, visible 10 miles away. It operated until 1949, when declining trade at the mines and wharves led to the mining company turning off the paraffin lamp.
The mines themselves continued to operate up until the late 1960s, closing in 1968, and the nearby Millom Ironworks closed the year after.

The lighthouse was refurbished in 2003, repainted and given a new dome and glazing, at which time a Solar LED Navigational Lantern was fitted.
Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   © Copyright Richard Law and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
+
+
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
TIP: Click the map for Large scale mapping
Change to interactive Map >
Grid Square
SD1878, 66 images   (more nearby )
Photographer
  (find more nearby)
Date Taken
Tuesday, 20 May, 2014   (more nearby)
Submitted
Saturday, 14 June, 2014
Geographical Context
Coastal  Lakes, Wetland, Bog 
Primary Subject of Photo
Lagoon 
Subject Location
OSGB36: geotagged! SD 1805 7817 [10m precision]
WGS84: 54:11.5631N 3:15.4500W
Camera Location
OSGB36: geotagged! SD 18080 78271
View Direction
South-southwest (about 202 degrees)
Looking for a postcode? Try this pageExternal link
Clickable map
+


Image classification(about): Geograph
This page has been viewed about 30 times.
View this location: KML (Google Earth) · Google MapsExternal link · Bing MapsExternal link · Geograph Coverage Map · geotagged! More Links for this image
NW N NE
W Go E
SW S SE
[Mark
You are not logged in login | register