2014

SJ9495 : Bike 'n' Hound, New Beech Street

taken 10 years ago, near to Hyde, Tameside, England

This is 1 of 4 images, with title starting with Bike 'n in this square
Bike 'n' Hound, New Beech Street
Bike 'n' Hound, New Beech Street
The Bike n Hound was originally The Royal Albert commemorating Prince Albert, the Consort of Queen Victoria, who died in 1861. The beerhouse licence dates back to around 1850. The first owner and licensee was Thomas Bridge, who was there for around ten years. After 1890 the Royal Albert was bought by the Philanthropic Burial Society of Hyde.

This view from New Beech Street shows the very old brick/stonework contrasting with the "newish" paintwork. Originally the doors opened into a back yard that included outside toilets. These were knocked down around the 1970s when New Beech Street was built.

Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   © Copyright Gerald England and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
Geographical Context: Business, Retail, Services Primary Subject: Public House Person: Prince Albert Date: 1890 other tags: Public House Click a tag, to view other nearby images.
This photo is linked from: Automatic Clusters: · Street was Originally [32] ·
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
+
+
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
TIP: Click the map for more Large scale mapping
Grid Square
SJ9495, 885 images   (more nearby 🔍)
Photographer
Gerald England   (more nearby)
Date Taken
Saturday, 14 June, 2014   (more nearby)
Submitted
Tuesday, 17 June, 2014
Subject Location
OSGB36: geotagged! SJ 9490 9508 [10m precision]
WGS84: 53:27.1472N 2:4.6959W
Camera Location
OSGB36: geotagged! SJ 9488 9510
View Direction
East-southeast (about 112 degrees)
Clickable map
+
NW N NE
W Go E
SW S SE
Image classification(about): Geograph
This page has been viewed about 56 times
You are not logged in login | register