SE4498 : Reconstructed Monk's Cell, Mount Grace Priory

taken 5 years ago, near to Osmotherley, North Yorkshire, Great Britain

Reconstructed Monk's Cell, Mount Grace Priory
Reconstructed Monk's Cell, Mount Grace Priory
Cell 8 was originally built in the 15th century as part of the north range of the Great Cloister. In common with the other monastic buildings, it was unroofed and partially dismantled when the priory was suppressed in 1539. It was rebuilt by Sir Lowthian Bell between 1900 and 1905. English Heritage has since reconstructed the cell again, replacing the internal partitions with materials more in keeping with the original structure. The furniture has been designed to give an impression of how the cell would have appeared in the early 16th century.

The reconstruction gives a good impression of the appearance of all the cells at Mount Grace. The individual cells reflect the isolation of the monks who lived as hermits, each occupying his own cell and coming together in the chapel only for the nocturnal liturgical hours, Sundays and feast-days. They were silent order and their diet was strictly vegetarian.
Mount Grace Priory
Mount Grace Priory, is the best preserved and most accessible of the ten medieval Carthusian houses (charterhouses) in England. Set in woodlands, it was founded in 1398 by Thomas Holland, 1st Duke of Surrey, the son of King Richard II's half-brother Thomas, Earl of Kent, it was the last monastery established in Yorkshire, and one of the few founded anywhere in Britain in the period between the Black Death (134950) and the Reformation.

Mount Grace Priory was a fairly small establishment, with space for a prior and twenty-three monks. It consisted of a church and two cloisters. The northern cloister had sixteen cells whilst the southern had five cells, Frater and Prior's house and the Chapter House. To the west stood the lay brothers' quarters and the guest house.

The priory was closed in 1539 during the dissolution of the monasteries by King Henry VIII. The priory was sold and the religious buildings were partially dismantled or left to fall into ruins. The ruins of the guest-house of the priory were incorporated into two later houses: a seventeenth-century manor and the larger house of 190001. The Manor House at the priory was decorated in Arts and Crafts style under the ownership Sir Isaac Lowthian Bell, a wealthy industrialist.

The site was given to the nation by the Bell family in 1953. It is now owned by the National Trust and managed by English Heritage.

The priory ruins are Grade I-listed (English Heritage Building ID: 332435 LinkExternal link British Listed buildings). The manor house/guesthouse is also listed Grade II* by English Heritage (English Heritage Building ID: 332434 LinkExternal link British Listed Buildings).
Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   © Copyright David Dixon and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
TIP: Click the map for Large scale mapping
Change to interactive Map >
Grid Square
SE4498, 130 images   (more nearby )
  (find more nearby)
Date Taken
Thursday, 19 June, 2014   (more nearby)
Tuesday, 24 June, 2014
Geographical Context
Historic sites and artefacts  Religious sites 
Camera (from Tags)
Panasonic DMC-G3 
Image Buckets ?
Subject Location
OSGB36: geotagged! SE 4496 9857 [10m precision]
WGS84: 54:22.8390N 1:18.5578W
Camera Location
OSGB36: geotagged! SE 4495 9856
View Direction
North-northeast (about 22 degrees)
Looking for a postcode? Try this pageExternal link
Clickable map

Other Tags
14th Century  Fourteenth Century  Priory  Carthusian  Cell  English Heritage  National Trust 

Click a tag, to view other nearby images.

Image classification(about): Supplemental image
This page has been viewed about 65 times.
View this location: KML (Google Earth) · Google MapsExternal link · Bing MapsExternal link · Geograph Coverage Map · geotagged! More Links for this image
W Go E
You are not logged in login | register