SJ8398 : Spencer and Crawford Rooms, John Rylands Library, Manchester

taken 7 years ago, near to Manchester, Great Britain

Spencer and Crawford Rooms, John Rylands Library, Manchester
Spencer and Crawford Rooms, John Rylands Library, Manchester
Originally intended to be the public lending department of the Library, the interconnected Spencer and Crawford Rooms were adapted in 1900 with glassfronted bookcases to accommodate the rapidly-expanding special collections.

Great care was taken to ensure the preservation of the collection. As well as the general filtration system and the heating system, book cupboards were carefully designed so that airtight vacuums would be created once the books were locked away.

Following the extensive building project "Unlocking the Rylands" (2003-07), the space was opened to the public for the first time and named in honour of the Library’s two great foundation collections, the Spencer and Crawford collections. The area now houses a selection of books from the Spencer Collection, plus a number of modern binding collections.
The John Rylands Library

The John Rylands Library was founded by Mrs Enriqueta Augustina Rylands in memory of her late husband, John Rylands, one of the most successful businessmen of Victorian England and Manchester’s first multi-millionaire.

The striking gothic building which dominates the streetscape at the corner of Deansgate and Spinningfield was designed in 1889 by the architect Basil Champneys. The library took ten years to build and was first opened to public readers on 1 January 1900. The initial stock of the Library was 70,000 books and fewer than 100 manuscripts. As the Library's collections grew, the building has been extended four times; first in 1920 and again in 1962 and 1970. In 2003 major refurbishment began which included the construction of a new entrance wing. The library reopened in 2008.

The Library became part of The University of Manchester in 1972 and currently holds the Special Collections of The University of Manchester Library. Mrs Rylands' memorial to her husband is now part of the third largest academic library in the United Kingdom; the building houses over 250,000 printed volumes, and well over a million manuscripts and archival items.

The library was granted Grade I listed status in 1952 (Historic England List Entry Number: 1217800 LinkExternal link ).

LinkExternal link Wikipedia article about the library
LinkExternal link Wikipedia article about John Rylands.

Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   © Copyright David Dixon and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
TIP: Click the map for Large scale mapping
Change to interactive Map >
Grid Square
SJ8398, 2947 images   (more nearby search)
  (find more nearby)
Date Taken
Tuesday, 24 June, 2014   (more nearby)
Wednesday, 2 July, 2014
Geographical Context
Historic sites and artefacts  Educational sites  City, Town centre 
Image Buckets ?
Camera (from Tags)
Panasonic DMC-G3 
Subject Location
OSGB36: geotagged! SJ 8356 9821 [10m precision]
WGS84: 53:28.8211N 2:14.9513W
Camera Location
OSGB36: geotagged! SJ 8356 9821
View Direction
SOUTH (about 180 degrees)
Looking for a postcode? Try this pageExternal link
Clickable map

Image classification(about): Supplemental image
This page has been viewed about 43 times.
View this location: KML (Google Earth) · Google MapsExternal link · Bing MapsExternal link · Geograph Coverage Map · geotagged! More Links for this image
W Go E
thumbs up icon
You are not logged in login | register