TF0919 : The Abbey Church of Saints Peter and Paul: Lectern

taken 5 years ago, near to Bourne, Lincolnshire, Great Britain

The Abbey Church of Saints  Peter and Paul: Lectern
The Abbey Church of Saints Peter and Paul: Lectern
A Victorian brass Eagle Lectern in the Abbey church.

See other images of Churches in Bourne
Eagle Lectern
The use of Eagles as Lecterns in churches certainly predates the reformation, and they are amazingly common. The Eagle is said to represent St John the Apostle, whose soaring symbolism makes the 4th gospel the most literary of the descriptions of Christ's ministry.

In the 5th century St Jerome used the Eagle as a metaphor for Christ's ascenscion, and an early legend held that the eagle would periodically renew its youth by flying near the sun and then plunging into a lake or fountain. On this basis the eagle became a symbol for the Resurrection as well as the Ascension. And, of course, the outstretched wings are a very convenient form for a lectern.

There is a brief Wikipedia article here: LinkExternal link
Abbey church of Ss Peter & Paul, Bourne
Grade I listed.

The Abbey was founded in 1138 by Baldwin FitzGilbert but a church may have existed prior to this. The Domesday book lists a church present in Bourne.
The Abbey became one of five houses attached to the Arrouausian division of the Augustinian order. The Abbey was never rich or important, and the monastic buildings, possibly with a cloister, lay to the north side of the present church.

The church consists of nave, north and south aisles, a south west tower, south porch, and chancel.
Around 1200, two towers were planned for the west end, but only the south one was completed.
The four-bay nave arcading dates from Norman times, and the aisles were widened in the 15th century. Several other alterations occurred over the years.
There was originally a pulpitum between the nave and chancel which has now gone.

The octagonal font dates from the 15th century, as does the south porch.
The Abbey was dissolved in 1536, but the church continued to be used.
The nave has a fine three-tier brass chandelier of 1742.

In 1892 a new roof was erected and the chancel was repaired.
In 1934 it was found the tower was in danger of collapse, and extensive work was needed.

The organ was originally situated at the west end on a Gallery, this was removed in 1869, and a new organ installed by Grey and Davidson. In 1976 the organ was rebuilt by Bishop and Sons.
Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   © Copyright Bob Harvey and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
+
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
TIP: Click the map for Large scale mapping
Change to interactive Map >
Grid Square
TF0919, 481 images   (more nearby )
Photographer
  (find more nearby)
Date Taken
Saturday, 1 November, 2014   (more nearby)
Submitted
Sunday, 2 November, 2014
Geographical Context
Lowlands  Religious sites  City, Town centre 
Primary Subject of Photo
Church Detail 
Subject Location
OSGB36: geotagged! TF 0970 1998 [10m precision]
WGS84: 52:45.9773N 0:22.5345W
Camera Location
OSGB36: geotagged! TF 0970 1998
View Direction
South-southeast (about 157 degrees)
Looking for a postcode? Try this pageExternal link
Clickable map
+

Other Tags
Eagle Lectern  Lectern  Church Lectern 

Click a tag, to view other nearby images.

Image classification(about): Supplemental image
This page has been viewed about 38 times.
View this location: KML (Google Earth) · Google MapsExternal link · Bing MapsExternal link · Geograph Coverage Map · geotagged! More Links for this image
NW N NE
W Go E
SW S SE
[Mark
You are not logged in login | register