SK6991 : Church of the Holy Trinity, Everton

taken 5 years ago, near to Everton, Nottinghamshire, Great Britain

Church of the Holy Trinity, Everton
Church of the Holy Trinity, Everton
Churchyard monument on the north side of the church. This is considered to have been erected by Rev Robert Evans, Vicar 1803-47, and carries several inscriptions (now partly illegible) to members of the Evans family, the earliest dated 1814 which was probably when the monument was erected. Listed Grade II separately from the church.
Church of the Holy Trinity, Everton
This church consists of nave and chancel with north aisle extending alongside the chancel as Lady Chapel, south cancel chapel, south porch and west tower.

It still displays its Norman origins in the form of the fine chancel and tower arches, both with extensive chevron decoration and of 11th century date. The lower storeys of the tower are probably contemporary, and there is Norman herringbone masonry on the south side of the nave. The west window is a 19th century insertion, there being evidence for a west door during the early part of the 19th century. The north aisle was added in the 14th century, although the windows are typically later enlargements in Perpendicular style. The windows in the south wall of the nave are of similar period.

The upper stage of the tower is 15th century, the clerestory windows are 16th century. The apse and south chancel chapel were added in 1841, although the doorway in the south side of the chapel is 14th century, repositioned.

Inside there is immediate impact from the Norman arches at either end of the nave. The 14th century north aisle arcade is of two bays, the single pillar having delicate bud-shaped decoration on the capital. The respond at the chancel end of the arcade is less extensively decorated. The tall two-bay window in the south wall stands out in comparison to its smaller neighbours.

The font is a 19th century version of the original Norman font. Part of this remains, but comparison with the later font shows that the copying was far from accurate. The reredos includes early 17th century panelling with crocketted buttress, reworked in the 19th century to fit the new apse. Other wood fittings are either 19th century or later.

The church is listed Grade II*, the listing including the mixed brick and stone wall around the churchyard.
Listed Buildings and Structures
Listed buildings and structures are officially designated as being of special architectural, historical or cultural significance. There are over half a million listed structures in the United Kingdom, covered by around 375,000 listings.
Listed status is more commonly associated with buildings or groups of buildings, however it can cover many other structures, including bridges, headstones, steps, ponds, monuments, walls, phone boxes, wrecks, parks, and heritage sites, and in more recent times a road crossing (Abbey Road) and graffiti art (Banksy 'Spy-booth') have been included.

In England and Wales there are three main listing designations;
Grade I (2.5%) - exceptional interest, sometimes considered to be internationally important.
Grade II* (5.5%) - particularly important buildings of more than special interest.
Grade II (92%) - nationally important and of special interest.

There are also locally listed structures (at the discretion of local authorities) using A, B and C designations.

In Scotland three classifications are also used but the criteria are different. There are around 47,500 Listed buildings.
Category A (8%)- generally equivalent to Grade I and II* in England and Wales
Category B (51%)- this appears generally to cover the ground of Grade II, recognising national importance.
Category C (41%)- buildings of local importance, probably with some overlap with English Grade II.

In Northern Ireland the criteria are similar to Scotland, but the classifications are:
Grade A (2.3%)
Grade B+ (4.7%)
Grade B (93%)

…read more at wikipedia LinkExternal link
Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   © Copyright Alan Murray-Rust and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
+
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
TIP: Click the map for Large scale mapping
Change to interactive Map >
Grid Square
SK6991, 54 images   (more nearby )
Photographer
  (find more nearby)
Date Taken
Sunday, 9 November, 2014   (more nearby)
Submitted
Wednesday, 12 November, 2014
Geographical Context
Historic sites and artefacts  Burial ground, Crematorium 
Period (from Tags)
Early 19th Century 
Primary Subject of Photo
Monument 
Subject Location
OSGB36: geotagged! SK 6912 9134 [10m precision]
WGS84: 53:24.8610N 0:57.6931W
Camera Location
OSGB36: geotagged! SK 6912 9134
View Direction
East-southeast (about 112 degrees)
Looking for a postcode? Try this pageExternal link
Clickable map
+

Other Tags
Monument  Grade II Listed 

Click a tag, to view other nearby images.

Image classification(about): Geograph
This page has been viewed about 13 times.
View this location: KML (Google Earth) · Google MapsExternal link · Bing MapsExternal link · Geograph Coverage Map · geotagged! More Links for this image
NW N NE
W Go E
SW S SE
[Mark
You are not logged in login | register