SK3728 : Remains of Old Stone Cross, St James' Churchyard

taken 5 years ago, near to Swarkestone, Derbyshire, Great Britain

Remains of Old Stone Cross, St James' Churchyard
Remains of Old Stone Cross, St James' Churchyard
St Jamesí Church was possibly built as a daughter chapel for the Knights Hospitallers of St John, at Barrow in the mid 12th century, or some years earlier by a manorial lord. Most of the original Norman church was lost when it was rebuilt in 1876 but the Harpur Chapel, built before 1577, remains little altered as does the 14th century tower save for the loss of its corner pinnacles (LinkExternal link - Conservation Area Histories: Swarkestone District of South Derbyshire).

The church is grade II*-listed by English Heritage (English Heritage Building ID: 83223 LinkExternal link British Listed Buildings)
Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   © Copyright David Dixon and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
+
+
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
TIP: Click the map for Large scale mapping
Change to interactive Map >
Grid Square
SK3728, 75 images   (more nearby )
Photographer
  (find more nearby)
Date Taken
Saturday, 20 September, 2014   (more nearby)
Submitted
Monday, 24 November, 2014
Geographical Context
Historic sites and artefacts  Village, Rural settlement  Religious sites 
Camera (from Tags)
Panasonic DMC-G3 
Subject Location
OSGB36: geotagged! SK 3719 2858 [10m precision]
WGS84: 52:51.2063N 1:26.9498W
Camera Location
OSGB36: geotagged! SK 3720 2857
View Direction
WEST (about 270 degrees)
Looking for a postcode? Try this pageExternal link
Clickable map
+

Image classification(about): Supplemental image
This page has been viewed about 15 times.
View this location: KML (Google Earth) · Google MapsExternal link · Bing MapsExternal link · Geograph Coverage Map · geotagged! More Links for this image
NW N NE
W Go E
SW S SE
[Mark
You are not logged in login | register