TF3754 : Lade Bank Pumping Station

taken 5 years ago, near to Lade Bank, Lincolnshire, Great Britain

Lade Bank Pumping Station
Lade Bank Pumping Station
Created in 1867 to pump water from the northern section of the drain into the higher level of the southern section.
The original station comprises the three left hand elements - chimney, boiler house and engine house. The latter housed two steam engines. The building to the right was built in 1940 to house diesel driven pumps, when the steam engines were scrapped. Subsequently electric pumps have been installed, one taking the place of the navigation lock. The original buildings are Listed Grade II.
Witham Navigable Drains
The origin of the group of navigable drains in the fens to the north of Boston lies in the Acts of Parliament passed in 1801 and 1803 to enable improvements to the drainage in the area. Navigation was a critical element of the scheme as it allowed the easy transport of agricultural goods out of the area, and in particular coal to be brought in. The engineer for the whole scheme was the noted civil engineer John Rennie, and a significant number of his works, particularly bridges, remain largely unaltered, the majority being Listed Grade II.

The principal outlets, into the tidal Haven below Boston were the Maud Foster and Hobhole Sluices. Initially all drainage was by gravity through gates, but the need to reduce water levels in the northern part of the fens led to the construction of the Lade Bank Pumping Station in 1867. A lock was provided to enable navigation to be maintained.

Mechanical pumping was progressively introduced and then modernised to increase the volume of pumping and maintain optimum water levels. One effect of this was the closure of the lock at Lade Bank. Combined with the closure of East Fen Lock, this resulted in the isolation of the southern section of the Hobhole Drain from the remainder of the network.

Today, navigation is variable, depending on water levels and the extent of clearing of weed on smaller drains in particular. Water levels are kept lower during winter than summer. This ensures maximum winter capacity during periods of higher rainfall, and equally maintains a higher water table during summer as well as providing a reservoir for irrigation. Access is from the River Witham at Anton's Gowt Lock.

The Witham Navigable Drains are well covered by the Wikipedia article LinkExternal link.
Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   © Copyright Alan Murray-Rust and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
+
+
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
TIP: Click the map for Large scale mapping
Change to interactive Map >
Grid Square
TF3754, 39 images   (more nearby )
Photographer
  (find more nearby)
Date Taken
Wednesday, 19 November, 2014   (more nearby)
Submitted
Tuesday, 25 November, 2014
Geographical Context
Historic sites and artefacts  Rivers, Streams, Drainage 
Period (from Tags)
Mid 19th Century  1940s 
Date (from Tags)
1867 
Primary Subject of Photo
Drainage 
Subject Location
OSGB36: geotagged! TF 3789 5448 [10m precision]
WGS84: 53:4.1860N 0:3.3962E
Camera Location
OSGB36: geotagged! TF 3791 5436
View Direction
North-northwest (about 337 degrees)
Looking for a postcode? Try this pageExternal link
Clickable map
+

Other Tags
Pumping Station  Grade II Listed  Hobhole Drain 

Click a tag, to view other nearby images.

Image classification(about): Geograph
This page has been viewed about 79 times.
View this location: KML (Google Earth) · Google MapsExternal link · Bing MapsExternal link · Geograph Coverage Map · geotagged! More Links for this image
NW N NE
W Go E
SW S SE
[Mark
You are not logged in login | register