NS4864 : Fountain Gardens fountain

taken 5 years ago, near to Paisley, Renfrewshire, Great Britain

Fountain Gardens fountain
Fountain Gardens fountain
The tenement is on Blythswood Drive.
Fountain Gardens fountain
Known as the "Grand Central Fountain", the Category A Listed LinkExternal link cast iron fountain was restored in 2014, it is located in the centre of the gardens which are bounded by Love Street, Blythswood Drive, Caledonia Street and Glen Street.

The Historic Scotland website LinkExternal link describes it as follows...

G Smith and Co iron founders 1868. Ornate multi-tiered and coloured cast-iron fountain in ornate classical style decorated with putti and walrus heads. Surrounded by circular basin containing 4 full-size walruses. Perimeter of mock rocks.

This elaborate and idiosyncratic fountain, forms the centrepiece to Fountain Gardens. It incorporates a wealth of decorative detail. The unusual addition of full-sized, accurately modelled walruses and the surrounding cast iron rocks, complete with barnacles, makes it a unique structure. Fountain Gardens are situated on the site of previous Gardens. These, the Love Street Gardens, had fallen into general disuse and the land was bought in 1866 by Thomas Coats of Ferguslie. He bought the gardens with the intention of altering and improving them and then handing them over for the community to use as a 'place of healthful recreation and resort'. Thomas Coats used the Glasgow landscape architect, James Niven, as designer and allowed him to do whatever he wished, with no thought to the expense. In the event, the gardens were laid out to a geometric pattern, with broad, leafy walks all of which led to the decorative fountain at the centre. The fountain is described in detail in The Builder of June 27th 1868. Thomas Coats gave the gardens to Paisley Town Council in 1868, with a gift of 5000 for their upkeep. Other elaborate iron work, all by the same foundry, was incorporated into the park, including lamps, gates, railings, seats and drinking fountains, but the fountain is one of the few pieces to remain. Scotland had a thriving, productive ironfounding industry in the latter half of the 19th century, exporting work to other countries, including Brazil, India and South Africa. The Sun iron foundry of George Smith and Co Ltd, Glasgow was founded in 1858 and was one of the most significant and productive. It closed in 1899 and large scale works from the foundry are uncommon. This is therefore a virtuoso piece, showing the scale and complexity of what could be achieved.
Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   © Copyright Thomas Nugent and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
+
+
1:50,000 Modern Day Landranger(TM) Map © Crown Copyright
TIP: Click the map for Large scale mapping
Change to interactive Map >
Grid Square
NS4864, 1141 images   (more nearby )
Photographer
  (find more nearby)
Date Taken
Monday, 24 November, 2014   (more nearby)
Submitted
Friday, 28 November, 2014
Geographical Context
Historic sites and artefacts  Park and Public Gardens  City, Town centre 
Primary Subject of Photo
Fountain 
Subject Location
OSGB36: geotagged! NS 4807 6457 [10m precision]
WGS84: 55:51.0196N 4:25.7058W
Camera Location
OSGB36: geotagged! NS 4807 6455
View Direction
NORTH (about 0 degrees)
Looking for a postcode? Try this pageExternal link
Clickable map
+


Image classification(about): Geograph
This page has been viewed about 15 times.
View this location: KML (Google Earth) · Google MapsExternal link · Bing MapsExternal link · Geograph Coverage Map · geotagged! More Links for this image
NW N NE
W Go E
SW S SE
[Mark
You are not logged in login | register