R0491 : Coach and car park, Cliffs of Moher

taken 5 years ago, near to Lower Ballycotteen, Upper Ballycotteen and Derren, Clare, Ireland

Coach and car park, Cliffs of Moher
Coach and car park, Cliffs of Moher
Looking towards the coach park for the Cliffs of Moher, with the car park beyond.
Cliffs of Moher :: R0492
Billed as Ireland’s most visited natural attraction, the Cliffs of Moher are a 5 mile stretch of almost sheer cliffs consisting of bands of sandstone, siltstone, mudstone and shale rising to a maximum height of over 700 feet. They take their name from a former fort called Moher (or Mhothair) which stood on the Hag’s Head, at the southern end of the line of cliffs, but which was demolished in 1808, during the Napoleonic Wars, to be replaced by the signal tower that now stands there. Near the highest point stands O’Brien’s Tower, built in 1835 by Cornelius O’Brien as a viewing point for tourists.
Creative Commons Licence [Some Rights Reserved]   © Copyright Ian Capper and licensed for reuse under this Creative Commons Licence.
Loading map... (JavaScript required)
Grid Square
R0491, 25 images   (more nearby )
Photographer
  (find more nearby)
Date Taken
Thursday, 11 September, 2014   (more nearby)
Submitted
Saturday, 29 November, 2014
Geographical Context
Coastal  Roads, Road transport 
Place (from Tags)
Cliffs of Moher 
Subject Location
Irish: geotagged! R 041 919 [100m precision]
WGS84: 52:58.2201N 9:25.6050W
Camera Location
Irish: geotagged! R 040 918
View Direction
Northeast (about 45 degrees)
Clickable map
+


Image classification(about): Geograph
This page has been viewed about 29 times.
View this location: KML (Google Earth) · Google MapsExternal link · Bing MapsExternal link · Geograph Coverage Map · geotagged! More Links for this image
NW N NE
W Go E
SW S SE
[Mark
You are not logged in login | register